to pad to the next multiple of 16.
Cards had nine digit rows plus three zone rows, twelve total; usually
only 0 and 1-9 were printed. "Bury me face down, 9 edge first."

- David.Thompson1 at worldnet.att.net

Richard Heathfield

Dave Thompson said:
s/ten/nine and eight (averaging 8.6overbar)/

Yes, I was relying on my (obviously faulty) memory. Later, I had occasion to
look the table up, and noted that the alphabet was in nines rather than
tens, but by then I didn't recall having claimed otherwise. :)
But you do rhyme with 'seas of green', FWIW.

Cue the solo on something brassy (tuba?).

lawrence.jones

Dave Thompson said:
Cards had nine digit rows plus three zone rows, twelve total; usually

Ten digit rows -- 0 can be either a zone or a digit, depending on the
particular usage.

-Larry Jones

I won't eat any cereal that doesn't turn the milk purple. -- Calvin