Object creation on page load, default function and other public functions

Calm_Pear

Hi all,

I have created an object with a default function; the default function
exposes a public function as well.

myobject = function(){
var objects = [];
function addLoad(func){var oldonload = window.onload;if(typeof
window.onload != 'function'){window.onload = func;}else{window.onload =
function(){if(oldonload){oldonload();}func();}}}
function object(div){
/* some code here */
}
return function(div){
addLoad(function(){objects.push(new object(div))});
myobject.test = function(txt){alert(txt);};
}
}();
object("mytextbox");

How would I reference the object itself in such a way that I do not have to
use the object name?

Meaning; I'd like to get rid of:

myobject.test = function(txt){alert(txt);};

And have it read something like:

this.test = function(txt){alert(txt);};
(but that will add the function to the window object which is something I do
not want)

Or

var that = this;

that.test = function(txt){alert(txt);};

(but that doesn't work also...)

My guess is you can't because the object is being created as the page loads
and there is no way to get its name until it's finished creating. (I don't
like to add the function(s) with prototype because the function should
operate as a singleton anyway and it... well... just looks wrong I guess)

Regards

David Mark

Hi all,

I have created an object with a default function; the default function

That statement is a bit confused. You have indeed created an object
(a function object.) It has no "default function", but does have two
inner functions, one of which will apparently be used as a
constructor. I suspect you want to use the outer "myobject" function
as a constructor, but it is hard to see why.
exposes a public function as well.

myobject = function(){
var objects = [];
function addLoad(func){var oldonload = window.onload;if(typeof
window.onload != 'function'){window.onload = func;}else{window.onload =
function(){if(oldonload){oldonload();}func();}}}
function object(div){
/* some code here */
}
return function(div){
addLoad(function(){objects.push(new object(div))});
myobject.test = function(txt){alert(txt);};
}}();

object("mytextbox");

How would I reference the object itself in such a way that I do not have to
use the object name?

Meaning; I'd like to get rid of:

myobject.test = function(txt){alert(txt);};

And have it read something like:

this.test = function(txt){alert(txt);};

Call it as a constructor, but the results won't be particularly
useful.

myStrangeObject = new object("mytextbox");

BTW, constructors should have capitalized names. Unfortunately,
"Object" is taken.
(but that will add the function to the window object which is something I do
not want)

Or

var that = this;

that.test = function(txt){alert(txt);};

(but that doesn't work also...)

The result is the same as with your previous attempt (a "test"
property is added to the global object.)
My guess is you can't because the object is being created as the page loads

Your theory has no basis in fact.
and there is no way to get its name until it's finished creating. (I don't
like to add the function(s) with prototype because the function should
operate as a singleton anyway and it... well... just looks wrong I guess)

You need to stop guessing. You should learn how objects work in
JavaScript before trying to create them. This example seems too
complex for a first attempt.

Marc

That statement is a bit confused. You have indeed created an object
(a function object.) It has no "default function", but does have two
inner functions, one of which will apparently be used as a
constructor. I suspect you want to use the outer "myobject" function
as a constructor, but it is hard to see why.

I'm sorry if my names are incorrect and caused confusion.

I want to attach an event to 1 or more text boxes and onkeyup update a div,
I stripped a lot of functionality in an attempt to focus on the issue.
I create an object for every text box to keep track of several things
including the div (and if the div doesn't exist create it).

So there are two private functions (The 'object' constructor [with the wrong
name 'object'] and the 'addLoad'), 1 public anonymous function that runs as
soon as myobject is being called and as this happens exposes 1 new public
function 'test'.

In my original code the private function 'object' is called 'o' by the
way...
myobject = function(){
var objects = [];
function addLoad(func){var oldonload = window.onload;if(typeof
window.onload != 'function'){window.onload = func;}else{window.onload =
function(){if(oldonload){oldonload();}func();}}}
function object(div){
/* some code here */
}
return function(div){
addLoad(function(){objects.push(new object(div))});
myobject.test = function(txt){alert(txt);};
}}();

object("mytextbox");

How would I reference the object itself in such a way that I do not have
use the object name?

Call it as a constructor, but the results won't be particularly
useful.

myStrangeObject = new object("mytextbox");

Sorry again, that should have been:
myobject("textbox");

Your theory has no basis in fact.

Could you please explain that?
You need to stop guessing. You should learn how objects work in
JavaScript before trying to create them. This example seems too
complex for a first attempt.

I can assure you this is not a first attempt and I have been reading up on
this subject. But I can understand you got that feeling because I'm not
particularly good when it comes to using the proper name for objects or
function objects. (Please also note that English is not my native language)