Object Management

werasm

Chris said:
Simultaneous reads/writes are compatible with smart pointers that can
provide the 'Strong Thread-Safety guarantee:

Yes, but boost's promises concerning this is not good enough (with all
respect).
I find that in an MT environment, one most often requires the strong
guarantee, especially for shared pointers. I can (and have) thought
of
many cases (if not most of the cases I encounter) where simultaneous
read/writes are probable, and boosts shared pointers do not promise
much.

I use boosts shared pointers mostly for their custom deleters, and
only in
one thread.

Yes, I've followed this thread for a while, but should look again,
Although
I wish the effort would be standardized for all platforms.
Boost's shared_ptr only provides normal/basic thread-safety, so its not
going to work in your scenario. If your interested in taking a look at the
source-code for some atomic smart pointers that do exhibit strong
thread-safety:

Yes, so I gathered from the documentation. I have considered in the
past to comment on that in this group (the fact that I feel they
guarantee
too little, but eventually I did not for various reasons).

Thank you for the response,

Werner