ObjectDataSource TableAdapters Point-N-Click HELL

gabe

Hi,

I'll try to be specific with the problems that I'm encountering using
the new asp.net 2.0 controls --- TableAdapters with Typed DataSets,
Object DataSource Controls and the Gridview.

Are people have success using these controls?

1) I'm hitting and Oracle database, and there seems to be issues using
table adapters with typed datasets. I've absolutely given up on
entering any sql in the designers. Sometime the IDE doesn't update
properly and refresh changes made in the typed datasets. I've also
found it very difficult, if there are problems to try to debug a
situation where the sql is embedded within the xsd.

Are other people have these issues using Oracle?

2) When I was using TableAdapters with the ObjectDataSource control,
sometimes the changes made to the table adapters would appear in the
ObjectDataSource control, and sometimes not (even after refreshing the
schema)

In one situation I had an editable concatenated primary key, but could
not figure out a way to get the original_ value out.... I defined the
keynames, and provided for the values in the Update statement, but had
no luck.

3) Data Cache. I tried to use the default sorting and paging of the
gridview control. I enabled caching in the ObjectDataSource control.
Using the default sorting of the gridview, should this round trip back
to the database? It was for me. I wanted it to cache on the server. The
data didn't change. How do I do this?

I don't know if it's because I'm using Oracle and the XSD don't match
up with those being generated for folks that are using sql server or
what. I've looked at Scott Mitchell's tutorials and have spent some
time trying to get it to work. It sounds like people are really happy
with this stuff, but it feels like I'm in some sort of Point-N-Click
Hell, that quite frankly reminds me of DLL Hell.

Sorry for rambling... I'm frustrated, and the controls offer a lot.

Gabe