odd mis-match between XP & 2k on a redirect.

UncleWobbly

Evening Group... hope you are all well...

I have an app' that I look after for a company here in the UK that presents
an IP address as part of a search, next to it is an icon that allows one to
telnet to it with a link of the form (client side telnet BTW, not from the
server)

telnet://10.10.10.10 etc.

This all works fine.

My customer then decides they need auditability added to keep track of who
telnetted to what etc. So I make the telnet link pop-up a tiny java window
with asp in it to log the user details and then do

response.redirect "telnet://10.10.10.10"

On win2k +ie 5.5, 6 it works as expected, but on XP, the java window reports
the standard "couldn't find the page" error.

Been scratching my head about it all day, can't for the life of me suss
why... any ideas?

Any ideas on a better way to do it? perhaps without the java window.?

Thnks in advance.

UncleWobbly

meant to say: the standard telnet link works fine across the board on both
platforms

Armando

Instead of trying the java popup, have the link redirect to another page
which logs the details (it will all be asp anyways, no html to display) and
then from there redirect the user to the telnet thing. Do you get the same
problem? Cheers.

Armando

UncleWobbly

Thanks for replying Armando...

tried that. Same thing. It seems to be the redirect that is upsetting XP

The original code in the "popped" page was asp also.

I have a few ideas on how to play around with this but I am not certain on
much :eek:(