OMG XMI: questions on XML/MOF Mapping specifications

xareon

Hi all! OMG XMI Standard (link: http://www.omg.org/docs/formal/07-12-01.pdf)
provides a set of rules for XML/MOF mapping. Reading page 71, I can
find the three mapping rules to be followed in order to create a MOF
metamodel from a given XML Schema. However, the three rules only refer
to some of the XML Schema constructions: what do I have to do to
translate a XML Schema with xsd:extension, xsd:group, xsd:any,
xsd:restriction tags, as well as many other not mentioned by the XMI
document?

Thank you in advance for your patience :)

Regards, Stefano

tbranch227

Hi all! OMG XMI Standard (link: http://www.omg.org/docs/formal/07-12-01.pdf)
provides a set of rules for XML/MOF mapping. Reading page 71, I can
find the three mapping rules to be followed in order to create a MOF
metamodel from a given XML Schema. However, the three rules only refer
to some of the XML Schema constructions: what do I have to do to
translate a XML Schema with xsd:extension, xsd:group, xsd:any,
xsd:restriction tags, as well as many other not mentioned by the XMI
document?

Thank you in advance for your patience :)

Regards, Stefano

Did you ever get an answer to this? Is the XMI standard essentially dead?

Joe Kesselman

It's an official standard: ISO/IEC 19503:2005 Information technology –
XML Metadata Interchange (XMI).

That doesn't guarantee that anyone reading a particular newsgroup uses
it... and given the silence, the answer seems to be that we don't,
either because we haven't had the need or because we're using other
solutions.

You might find someone more clueful by asking in a newsgroup focusing on
the topic XMI addresses -- metadata -- or on tools which use XMI.

Good luck.

--
Joe Kesselman,

Joe Kesselman

Also note that being an official standard doesn't guarantee that anyone
actually uses it. (This is why the W3C is careful to call all their
documents Recommendations; they believe that a "standard" should be
called such only after they have survived an extended period of contact
with the real world.)

--
Joe Kesselman,