On second thought, IE8 will default to full Web standards

Evertjan.

"On second thought, IE8 will default to full Web standards"

By Scott M. Fulton, III, BetaNews
March 4, 2008, 11:45 AM

Should Microsoft choose for IE8 to follow the standards developers want or
the ones they use? It's been a tough call, and late yesterday, the company
reversed that call.

[..]

Gustafson advises against use of the DOCTYPE attribute; instead, he offers
an alternate attribute, which for the purposes Hachamovitch advises would
be phrased like this: <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7" />

<http://www.betanews.com/article/On_second_thought_IE8
_will_default_to_full_Web_standards/1204648031>

Nick Fletcher

"On second thought, IE8 will default to full Web standards"

By Scott M. Fulton, III, BetaNews
March 4, 2008, 11:45 AM

Should Microsoft choose for IE8 to follow the standards developers want or
the ones they use? It's been a tough call, and late yesterday, the company
reversed that call.

[..]

Gustafson advises against use of the DOCTYPE attribute; instead, he offers
an alternate attribute, which for the purposes Hachamovitch advises would
be phrased like this: <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7" />

<http://www.betanews.com/article/On_second_thought_IE8
_will_default_to_full_Web_standards/1204648031>

Thank goodness. You can also read more about it from the IE developers
here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Nick said:
[MS: "IE 8 will default to full Web standards"]

Thank goodness. You can also read more about it from the IE developers
here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/

Have they not promised the very same for years now? For example, they had
the good chance to make IE 7 XHTML-compliant, and again they blew it.

So I say I have to see it before I believe it. Besides, you can be pretty
sure that there will be no IE 8 for anything but Vista (and beyond), like
there is not going to be IE 7 for anything but XP and beyond; so whatever IE
8 will support then, is hardly going to matter for reasonable Web developers
for several years to come.

I hope for the better, but considering experience I think it will get more
difficult at best, because you will have to develop for three different box
models (and maybe DOMs) then: IE4-6, IE7, and IE8. And that would be only
IE. Another hacker's nightmare to come true.

PointedEars

Laurent vilday

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn a écrit :
Nick said:
[MS: "IE 8 will default to full Web standards"]
Thank goodness. You can also read more about it from the IE developers
here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/

Have they not promised the very same for years now? For example, they had
the good chance to make IE 7 XHTML-compliant, and again they blew it.

You are out of topic.
The point is not will IE8 respect standards or not [1].

Read this :
<http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/01/21/compatibility-and-ie8.aspx>

That was on 21 february 2008 and then read the yesterday news :
<http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/03/03/microsoft-s-interoperability-principles-and-ie8.aspx>

The point is : IE8 will *not* need a special <meta> or a server header
to use by *default* the IE8 render mode. When it was previously stated,
on 21 february 2008, that IE8 would have used the IE7 render mode by
*default*. This is a great news and you should be happy instead of
playing FUD [2].

[1] IE8 is supposed to pass Acid2 test but since nothing is public yet,
wait and see instead of FUD.
<http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2007/12/19/internet-explorer-8-and-acid2-a-milestone.aspx>

[2] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt>