onChange from iframe

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by jwcarlton, Aug 24, 2011.

  1. jwcarlton

    jwcarlton Guest

    I'm trying to call a function after a text field is changed from a
    separate iframe. Like this:

    <input type="text" name="pic" value="" onChange="alert('works')">
    <iframe id="iframe_pic" src="whatever.cgi" width="150" height="35"></
    iframe>

    The iframe runs a function, then on success sends a value back to
    "pic", like so:

    parent.document.formname.pic.value = pic;

    Where "pic" is defined within the function in the iframe.

    The input field does change correctly, but I'm not getting the
    expected "alert" from onChange. There are no Javascript errors shown,
    either, so even though the value changes, it doesn't look like the
    change is being recognized from onChange.

    Any suggestions?

    TIA,

    Jason

    jwcarlton, Aug 24, 2011

  2. The issue can be reduced to a simple case where you just use JavaScript
    to set the value of an <input> element and the element has an onchange
    event handler. The handler doesn't get executed, because:

    "The onchange event occurs when a control loses the input focus and its
    value has been modified since gaining focus."
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/scripts.html#h-18.2.3

    This does not depend on the use of iframe.
    Exactly. But why are you using onchange, instead of simply calling
    whatever needs to be called to perform the action?

    Theoretically, you could make your code first set focus on the text
    field, then change its content, and finally to make it lose focus. But
    that would a) be pointlessly complicated, b) not work, as browsers don't
    seem to that the spec that literally - rather, they interpret a field
    changed if the _user_ has changed it (directly, not via a script).

    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 24, 2011

  3. jwcarlton

    jwcarlton Guest

    The issue can be reduced to a simple case where you just use JavaScript
    Yeah, I just found that out myself when I tried typing something in
    manually, and it didn't trigger until I blurred the field. Blah.

    This iframe is used on dozens of pages, but I'm only using this event
    on one page. So, if I modify the iframe itself, I'll need to modify
    all of those pages to reflect it. It can be done, but it's more work
    than I'd hoped for.

    You're right, that does seem like a pretty gimpy workaround. I guess
    that I'd just assumed onChange() would trigger when something changed,
    not when something changed AND blurred.

    I might be able to get around this issue by using onResize() on the
    iframe itself (the function does change the size of the iframe), but
    that's a little iffy, too. So if you guys think of any other way for
    me to trigger an event from a script like this, please do post it! :)

    Thanks, Yukka,

    jwcarlton, Aug 24, 2011
  4. Well, it crossed my mind that you could explicitly call the event
    handler, after changing the field value:

    parent.document.formname.pic.onchange();

    (At least directly calling onchange() works within a document. It may
    not conform to everyone's idea of disciplined programming, but neither
    does the DOM access style like the above - it's more normal to use
    getElementById() these days - and discipline is often overrated as
    opposite to getting things done. :) )

    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 24, 2011
  5. jwcarlton

    SAM Guest

    Le 24/08/11 07:46, jwcarlton a écrit :
    maybe :

    var target = parent.document.formname.pic;
    target.focus();
    target.value = pic;
    target.blur();

    ???

    SAM, Aug 24, 2011
  6. It's proprietary.
    Nonsense. Using getElementById() even when not necessary is your twisted
    idea of normality. Replacing the above proprietary referencing with the
    more standards-compliant

    window.parent.document.forms["formname"].elements["pic"]

    (and standards-compliant shortcuts thereof) is still quite useful today, and
    common among those who know what they are doing (so not you). Cf. the FAQ.

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Aug 25, 2011