one-step publish to web server?

msnews.microsoft.com

I'm looking for a one-step publish to server solution. I'm developing my web
app in VS.NET and use my local IIS for testing. When ready to publish the
latest release, I'd like to be able to hit "publish" so all the dll and aspx
files are uploaded. I do not want source files on the live server. I do have
full admin access to the live server I wish to publish to.

Right now I'm using dreamweaver to publish, since I can select which files I
don't want to publish. I also use an FTP client sometimes. Both of these
methods are slow and clumsy.

Isn't there a way to use VS.NET to maintain a test server and live server
config? I'd rather not use source safe right now.

-Max

Kirby Turner

Max,

Have you tried the Copy Project feature in VS.NET. I have used this
feature to deploy web applications to another server after testing
locally. It includes an option to copy only the files needed for
runtime.

Make sure you have the web application project selected in the
Solution Explorer. Then from the menu bar, select Project | Copy
Project... Note the destination server requires Front Page Server
Extensions.

HTH

-KIRBY