Online query analzyer for Access?

jason

What is the best way to create new queries and/or modify existing tables
within an online access database. At the moment, I am periodically
downloading the db and making alterations.

But, I have heard others on the list say they use a query analayzer built on
a <form> where they execute SQL statements....

Is this the correct way to go?

- Jason

Ray at

Here is an online example.
http://rtfm.atrax.co.uk/infinitemonkeys/articles/asp/908.asp

As far as what is best to do, that's open for debate. I personally use
something simliar to the example above. Some people swear by on-the-fly
modifications like this, and others like to do it the hard way. I have no
problem using online mods like this for a site that is using Access, because
you know that it's not going to be a crazy-busy site or anything.

Ray at work

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

What is the best way to create new queries

Issue CREATE VIEW etc. statements against a connection object?
and/or modify existing tables

Issue ALTER TABLE etc. statements against a connection object?
But, I have heard others on the list say they use a query analayzer built on
a <form> where they execute SQL statements....

Maybe they were talking about some of these tools, many of which apply to
Access... http://www.aspfaq.com/2442

TomB

Uh, oh. Here we go again.... ;)

Ray at said:
Here is an online example.
http://rtfm.atrax.co.uk/infinitemonkeys/articles/asp/908.asp

As far as what is best to do, that's open for debate. I personally use
something simliar to the example above. Some people swear by on-the-fly
modifications like this, and others like to do it the hard way. I have no
problem using online mods like this for a site that is using Access, because
you know that it's not going to be a crazy-busy site or anything.

Ray at work

built

Ray at

I am still bitter about that. That whole thing really burns me up. That
list kills me. I just feel like it is dicatorishly dominated by a couple of
people who often misguide those with less knowledge and make them think that
there is only one answer to each question. I really think that list is
doing a dis-service to many learning ASP'ers. That's not right, man!

Ray at work

TomB

Well, the good thing is, Aaron suggests the same thing as you, and he's a
pretty smart guy (just don't tell him I said that)

Ray at

Aaron learned that from me, just like most of the other things he knows.
Oh, wait, I was still using a Smith Corona typewriter when he started coding
ASP pages. I must have this backwards. :]

Ray at work

jason

Great - that looks like a very usable solution to me. One thing that
puzzles me about the Atrax solution is a reference to:
"...I create a Windows Script Component (by replacing out the path to the
site's main WSC object), and use that to fire the query. "

Is he actually firing this analyzer off his own local server thereby
allowing the use of wsh? If so, how does one accomplish this off a remote
host...

Sorry, I am probably missing something here - the code is kind of complex!

Thanks
Jason