OOP problem

Jeff

Hey

ASP.NET 2.0

I've studied a code example in a .net book and found code I've got some
trouble with unerstanding: This is about 2 classes, one class inherit from
the class

The problem is that I cannot do this:
Message m = new Message(all the parametes goes here);
m.Id <-- this is my problem, I cannot type m.Id, because m.Id isn't
available in the inheriated class. I thought it was because the Message
class is inheriated from BaseNetwork. I can however get the Id value by
typing this. m.base.Id... but I want to type m.Id....

Any suggestions?

Below is the classes:

//This is the ancestor class
public abstract class BaseNetwork :
{
private int _id = 0;
public int ID
{
get { return _id; }
protected set { _id = value; }
}

private DateTime _addedDate = DateTime.Now;
public DateTime AddedDate
{
get { return _addedDate; }
protected set { _addedDate = value; }
}

private string _addedBy = "";
public string AddedBy
{
get { return _addedBy; }
protected set { _addedBy = value; }

//This is inherited class
public class Message : BaseNetwork
{

private string _sender;
public string Sender
{
get { return _sender; }
set { _sender = value; }
}

private string _receiver;
public string Receiver
{
get { return _receiver; }
set { _receiver = value; }
}

private string _body;
public string Body
{
get { return _body; }
set { _body = value; }
}

public Message(int id, string sender, string receiver, string body, DateTime
dateAdded)
{
this.ID = id;
this.Sender = sender;
this.Receiver = receiver;
this.Body = body;
this.AddedDate = dateAdded;

Guest

hello jeff,
on base class change property:
protected int _id = 0;
public int ID
{
get { return _id; }
set { _id = value; }
}

hope it will help...

Guest

That doesn't make any difference. See my other post in the thread for
the real reason.