opening files with names in non-english characters.

venutaurus539

Hi all,
I am trying to find the attributes of afile whose name has
non english characters one like given below. When I try to run my
python scirpt, it fails giving out an error filename must be in string
or UNICODE. When i try to copy the name of the file as a strinig, it
(KOMODO IDE) is not allowing me to save the script saying that it
cannot convert some of the characters in the current encoding which is
Western European(CP-1252).

0010testUnicode_ėíîïðņÅóôõöũøųúûüýþĸ !#$%&'()+,-..
0123456789;[email protected]

Hope some one could help me in this regard.

Thank you in advance,

Venu Madhav

Chris Rebert

Hi all,
I am trying to find the attributes of afile whose name has
non english characters one like given below. When I try to run my
python scirpt, it fails giving out an error filename must be in string
or UNICODE. When i try to copy the name of the file as a strinig, it
(KOMODO IDE) is not allowing me to save the script saying that it
cannot convert some of the characters in the current encoding which is
Western European(CP-1252).

0010testUnicode_ėíîïðņÅóôõöũøųúûüýþĸ !#$%&'()+,-..
0123456789;[email protected]

(1) How are you entering or retrieving that filename?
(2) Please provide the exact error and Traceback you're getting.

Cheers,
Chris

venutaurus539

(1) How are you entering or retrieving that filename?
(2) Please provide the exact error and Traceback you're getting.

Cheers,
Chris

Hello,
First of all thanks for your response. I've written a function
as shown below to recurse a directory and return a file based on the
value of n. I am calling this fucntion from my main code to catch that
filename. The folder which it recurses through contains a folder
having files with unicode names (as an example i've given earlier.
def findFile(dir_path):
for name in os.listdir(dir_path):
full_path = os.path.join(dir_path, name)
print full_path
if os.path.isdir(full_path):
findFile(full_path)
else:
n = n - 1
if(n ==0):
return full_path
The problem is in the return statement. In the
function when I tried to print the file name, it is printing properly
but the receiving variable is not getting populated with the file
name. The below code (1st statement) shows the value of the full_path
variable while the control is at the return statement. The second
statement is in the main code from where the function call has been
made.
Once the control has reached the main procedure after executing the
findFile procedure, the third statement gives the status of file
variable which has type as NoneType and value as None. Now when I try
to check if the path exists, it fails giving the below trace back.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E:\DataSet\Unicode\UnicodeFiles_8859\001_0006_test_folder
\0003testUnicode_ÃÃŽIÃNOKÔÕÖ×ØUÚÛÜUUßaáâãäåæicéeëeíîidnokôõö÷øuúûüuu.txt.txt
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
file = findFile(fpath)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
file
NoneType
None

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the final trace back:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\RecallStubFopen.py", line 268, in <module>
if os.path.exists(file):
File "C:\Python26\lib\genericpath.py", line 18, in exists
st = os.stat(path)
TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please ask if you need any further information.

Thank you,
Venu

venutaurus539

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- --
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------
E:\DataSet\Unicode\UnicodeFiles_8859\001_0006_test_folder
\0003testUnicode_ÃÃŽIÃNOKÔÕÖ×ØUÚÛÜUUßaáâãäåæicéeëeíîidnokôõö÷øuúûüuu.txt.txt
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------
file = findFile(fpath)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------
file
NoneType
None

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------

Please ask if you need any further information.

Thank you,
Venu

To add to what I've said above...I tried manual conversion of the file
using unicode() function which is throwing this error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\RecallStubFopen.py", line 278, in <module>
file = unicode(file)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xeb in position
74: ordinal not in range(128)

Gabriel Genellina

En Tue, 24 Feb 2009 01:29:07 -0200, (e-mail address removed)
First of all thanks for your response. I've written a function
as shown below to recurse a directory and return a file based on the
value of n. I am calling this fucntion from my main code to catch that
filename. The folder which it recurses through contains a folder
having files with unicode names (as an example i've given earlier.

def findFile(dir_path):
for name in os.listdir(dir_path):
full_path = os.path.join(dir_path, name)
print full_path
if os.path.isdir(full_path):
findFile(full_path)

Here, you're simply discarding the result from the recursive call. Try
something like this:

result = findFile(full_path)
if result is not None:
return result
else:
n = n - 1
if(n ==0):
return full_path

Now, what happens if you forget about findFile and try with a direct name
instead?

fpath =
r"E:\DataSet\Unicode\UnicodeFiles_8859\001_0006_test_folder\0003testUnicode_ÍÎIÐNOKÔÕÖ×ØUÚÛÜUUßaáâãäåæicéeëeíîidnokôõö÷øuúûüuu.txt.txt"
st = os.stat(path)
print st