opera mobile supports javascript

aeroguy

hi

i have amotorokr e6 phone and its supports javascript. The phone
itself works on a linux OS. I want to write a simple program in
javascrpt that can do input output operation in the mobile....

can anywone suggest something in this regard.

in a way we can use filesystemobject in windows machine, so is ther
anyw way this can be implimented in opera mobile within the mobile
phone.

any ideas and pointers in this regard

David Mark

hi

i have amotorokr e6 phone and its supports javascript. The phone
itself works on a linux OS. I want to write a simple program in
javascrpt that can do input output operation in the mobile....

can anywone suggest something in this regard.

in a way we can use filesystemobject in windows machine, so is ther
anyw way this can be implimented in opera mobile within the mobile
phone.

any ideas and pointers in this regard

The best you can hope for is reading and writing cookies.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

aeroguy said:
i have amotorokr e6 phone and its supports javascript. The phone
itself works on a linux OS. I want to write a simple program in
javascrpt that can do input output operation in the mobile....
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Define that.
can anywone suggest something in this regard.

in a way we can use filesystemobject in windows machine,

This ActiveX/COM Object can be used in MSHTML and in other UAs with an
ActiveX plugin only.
so is ther anyw way this can be implimented in opera mobile within
the mobile phone.

any ideas and pointers in this regard

RTFM: http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/

Since Opera appears to lack built-in support for DOM Level 3 Load and Save,
I don't think you can do *filesystem* I/O without an ActiveX plugin,
provided such exists for Opera (there is one for Mozillas/Geckos[1] and
Opera can load Netscape plugins, so that might work).

PointedEars
___________
[1] http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/plugin.htm

aeroguy

Thank you all. I quite agree and my research on the topic has yielded
the same conclution that cookies will be the best option.

So can you suugest a best way to use cookies. i mean cookies have
limitations for the no of cookies one page can place, so can you
suggest some work around so that i can create a simple expense manager
for my personal use in my motorokr phone.... It accepts cookies...

I know the limitations and i know cookies won't be stable for long
time but this will work for me as i will log my expenses in it and
then on a weekly basis i will transfer the data somehwere else.

i also know jar files are available for this kind of work, but i wanna
try it with javascript....

any help in this regard will be helpful.

How can i get more cookeis? should i use multiple pages?

thanks and regards

dhtmlkitchen

Thank you all. I quite agree and my research on the topic has yielded
the same conclution that cookies will be the best option.
Cookies may be the simplest, most obvious option that could possibly
work.

If cookies can work, then go with cookies.

if you can get away with setting location.hash/query string, do that!

If cookies become unmanageable, a more featureful way would be to use
Ajax and save data on the server. You can use XMLHttp or by targeting
a hidden iframe. (or just submit the form the normal way). I haven't
used XHR on mobile, yet. Have you?

Does Opera Mobile support input type="file" ? If so, you could upload
a file, then display the file back to the user.

So can you suugest a best way to use cookies. i mean cookies have
limitations for the no of cookies one page can place, so can you
suggest some work around so that i can create a simple expense manager
for my personal use in my motorokr phone.... It accepts cookies...

I know the limitations and i know cookies won't be stable for long
time but this will work for me as i will log my expenses in it and
then on a weekly basis i will transfer the data somehwere else.
Maybe using some entity on the server, then mapping the data to that
would be appropriate.

For example:
1) user fills out and submits form.
2) Data is posted to the server
3) user logs out
4) user logs in (is authenticated) and the data is retrieved at user's
request.

i also know jar files are available for this kind of work, but i wanna
try it with javascript....
Jar files, huh? I didn't know that.

<snip>