Order Events are fired and change at runtime.

tshad

I am trying to figure out how to handle a couple of problem using multiple
events tied to the same button.

Following is the button:

<asp:button ID="submitAnswer" CommandName="SubmitAnswer" runat="server"
style="color:#FF0000" Text="Submit Answer" OnClick="submitAnswer_click"
onInit="submitAnswer_onInit" OnLoad="submitAnswer_onLoad"
OnPreRender="submitAnswer_onPreRender" OnUnload="submitAnswer_onUnload"
oncommand="submitAnswer_onCommand"/>

Following is the trace with a trace.warn in each event.

aspx.page Begin Init
aspx.page End Init
aspx.page Begin LoadViewState
Inside submitAnswer_onInit sender = System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button
Inside submitAnswer_onInit sender = System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button
Inside submitAnswer_onInit sender = System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button
Inside submitAnswer_onInit sender = System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button
Inside submitAnswer_onInit sender = System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button
Inside submitAnswer_onInit sender = System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button
Inside submitAnswer_onInit sender = System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button
Inside submitAnswer_onInit sender = System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button
aspx.page End LoadViewState
aspx.page Begin ProcessPostData
aspx.page End ProcessPostData
Inside submitAnswer_onLoad
Inside submitAnswer_onLoad
Inside submitAnswer_onLoad
Inside submitAnswer_onLoad
Inside submitAnswer_onLoad
Inside submitAnswer_onLoad
Inside submitAnswer_onLoad
Inside submitAnswer_onLoad
aspx.page Begin ProcessPostData Second Try
aspx.page End ProcessPostData Second Try
aspx.page Begin Raise ChangedEvents
aspx.page End Raise ChangedEvents
aspx.page Begin Raise PostBackEvent
inside SubmitAnswer_click
Inside submitAnswer_onCommand
aspx.page End Raise PostBackEvent
aspx.page Begin PreRender 0.012925
Inside submitAnswer_onPreRender
aspx.page End PreRender
aspx.page Begin SaveViewState
aspx.page End SaveViewState
aspx.page Begin Render
aspx.page End Render

Why does the OnInit and OnLoad fire fire 8 times each?

Why is there no onUnload firing?

I tried in my onInit, onLoad and onClick event to turn off my onPreRender
event using :

Sender.Attributes.Add("onPreRender", "")

But it still fires.

I also tried to add an event from the onInit event of the button like so:

Sender.Attributes.Add("onPreRender", "submitAnswer_PreRender")

But it didn't fire.

I assume this is because all the events are collected when the button is
pushed, so changing it from runtime wouldn't help.

Tom