Order forms in webpages

keggler

Hi,

I want to design a simple order form for goods; something like: item
name, stock code, availability, and have the customer request an item
via a tick box and a quantity field; then pass this information into a
simple email order form (no secure credit cards or anything like that
just now)...

Will I have to write/run all this server-side? Or will it work in
Javascript within the browser?

Will I need say, a database of stock that is displayed and
interogated?

Does anyone know of any "off-the-shelf" solutions? Or am I faced with
coding a bespoke system?

TIA

Susan

Deryck

keggler said:
Hi,

I want to design a simple order form for goods; something like: item
name, stock code, availability, and have the customer request an item
via a tick box and a quantity field; then pass this information into a
simple email order form (no secure credit cards or anything like that
just now)...

Will I have to write/run all this server-side? Or will it work in
Javascript within the browser?

You dont have to run it server side but you might choose to. It depends on
how many of your customers will be using Javascript.
Will I need say, a database of stock that is displayed and
interogated?

You may do if you have a large amount of stock.
Does anyone know of any "off-the-shelf" solutions? Or am I faced with
coding a bespoke system?

I looked at several Javascript carts for a project once. Most were crap but
I found the one on http://www.nopdesign.com to be quite good.

HTH

Deryck

Fat Bloke

You dont have to run it server side but you might choose to. It depends on
how many of your customers will be using Javascript.

You may do if you have a large amount of stock.

I looked at several Javascript carts for a project once. Most were crap but
I found the one on http://www.nopdesign.com to be quite good.

HTH

Deryck
Unless you're never going to increase / decrease the items offered,
unless you're never going to change the price of any of them,
unless you're never going to change the shipping, etc,
you really need to consider a database-driven site you can run from your
desktop.
Why farff around with half-processing the order client-side and then having
them send it to you? If the information has to get to you, let your
customer base input it directly into your server-side database.
Most webhosting companies offer php and MySQL today. These are virtually
free and are fairly easy to handle and code for.
If you want some assistance / advice post to me direct (pull the pins out).
I'm retired and bored silly, and if it's not too big a project initially,
I'll do it for you.
I've done a few you can look at.

Yooors,

Iain.

keggler

Fat Bloke said:
[...]

Thanks so much for your replies Deryck and Iain; Deryck I will look
into that Javascript cart; and Iain I may very well take you up on
your kind offer...

Susan