order of execution of page_load in a base and derived classes

Ignacio Machin \( .NET/ C# MVP \)

Hi,

I have never been in this situation, but the first thing I would try is in
the Form.OnInit move the base.OnInit to the start of the method, before
register the Load handler for the current page.

cheers,

Karl

Please don't cross-post.

I'm assuming you are using C# 'cuz you wouldn't have this behaviour in
VB....anyways, the simplest solution is to go into your derived page's
OnInit function in the "Web Form Designer generated code" region, and change
the order of the two executions:

InitializeComponent();
base.OnInit(e);

base.OnInit(e);
InitializeComponent();

This will cause the base page's init to load first, which will cause it's
Load event to get hooked up first, thus causing it to fire first.

Karl

Ignacio Machin \( .NET/ C# MVP \)

Hi again

I'm not very sure that the previous answer will solve the problem, IIRC
the order of execution of the handlers is not defined. therefore even ify ou
register first the parent you may get the derived executing first after all.

Therefore you have to use another approach, you could use a virtual method
that you call in the OnLoad event, so each class Page) define what needs to
be checked , being the trick to verify the parent first to have the first
line calling the parent method:
protected override Check()
{
parent.Check();
//do the checking
}

I think this will solve your problem.

Cheers,

Benjamin Schwitter

We had the same problem with the Page_Load Event.

We solved it similar to the way Ignacio Machin describes using the OnLoad
event.

Good luck,

Benjamin Schwitter

z. f.

Hi,

i have a class that is derived from System.Web.UI.Page, and this is the
class i use in my application as PageBase.
all other page classes are deriverd from my PageBase instead of the original
System.Web.UI.Page in order to have common checks in the page base.

i make securirty checks in the page base page_load event.
if the security fails, i can do whatever i want before the "real" / derived
page gets to be executed.

but i have noticed that the derived page load event gets to be called before
the base page load event.

so i have a problem.

i can cancel the use of page_load in my derived pages, but i use this
function to check on PostBack events that does not have server (like button)
event handler, but there when will i move it to?

is this the correct execution order - the derived gets to called before the
base?

is this also the order of execution in inheritence or only with delegated
event handlers? ( i mean when you use the syntax of Page.onLoad +=
this_onLoad )....

TIA, z.

z. f.

i wouldn't like to add code to each page-class i add.
the idea behind using a PageBase is to not change the way i write the other
pages, just let them use the services the PageBase implement without even
"knowing" anout it.

Karl

Can you show me some code? If I do this:

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
Trace.Write("derived load")
end sub

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
Trace.Write("baseload")
end sub

the base load always fires first.

Karl

z. f.

also

from the IL created by VB compiler you see that in the constructor it is
adding the event handler:

Public Sub New()
AddHandler MyBase.Load, New EventHandler(AddressOf Me.Page_Load)
End Sub

Ignacio Machin \( .NET/ C# MVP \)

Hi,

IIRC the Page_Load is added in the OnInit handler:

InitializeComponent();
base.OnInit(e);
}
private void InitializeComponent()
}

Cheers,

Ignacio Machin \( .NET/ C# MVP \)

Hi,

You add it where you need it. each page's method should be responsible to
handle the functionalities implemented on it. All you have to do is call the
method in the Page_Load.

Why is that not ok with you?

cheers,

z. f.

you mean in c# don't you?
it is no question, it's a fact VB does it the way i showed, you can't
control it.

Guest

z. f. said:
[...]

Your classes dont work the way you would like. The ASPNET engine works with
your derived classes & calls the overriding methods in them, it couldn't
care about base classes ( I suppose it has to be System.Web.UI.Page
eventually) .
The effect you want only happens with new() where the 1st line in the
suboutine is either a call to one of the base classes constructors or an
implicit call to its parameterless constructor. So if you can put your
initialisation in the base classes new() then it should be fixed. However I
dont think all the ASP features are ready at that time, I also dont know if
any page object is reused for subsequent requests which could possibly lead
to some speedup but probably lead to hours of extra debugging. Maybe that
could be added by use of an attribute ?

Ignacio Machin \( .NET/ C# MVP \)

Hi,

Yes, the code I shown was in C#, I havent worked at all with VB but this is
the code the designer created :

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
End Sub

I don;t know much about how the event is hooked , but I can bet it's done
in the constructor as you said.

Again the virtual method approach can help you in this escenario.

cheers,