OT: Cascading php.ini?

Nico Schuyt

I can overrule the standard php.ini of the server with one in my sites.

Disadvantage is that I have to change it when the site is parsed with a
newer version of PHP.
The matter is complicated because I let some sites parse with an older
version because of problems with LOAD DATA INFILE.

Just wonder if it is possible (and wise) to apply a php.ini with only the
things I want to change (like maximum execution time (Limited in the server
..in to 90 seconds; can be increased to 300)

Regards, Nico

Mr. Clean

I can overrule the standard php.ini of the server with one in my sites.

Disadvantage is that I have to change it when the site is parsed with a
newer version of PHP.
The matter is complicated because I let some sites parse with an older
version because of problems with LOAD DATA INFILE.

Just wonder if it is possible (and wise) to apply a php.ini with only the
things I want to change (like maximum execution time (Limited in the server
.in to 90 seconds; can be increased to 300)

OT, please post to alt.php

Nico Schuyt

Mr. Clean said:
Nico Schuyt wrote
OT, please post to alt.php

Not sóóó OT :). At least not more than all the questions about javascript,
..htacces, file include, Active X controls, SEO, image handling, site review
etc etc
There must be dozens of visitors of this ng using PHP (probably more than
the ones using js)
Nico

William Tasso

Nico said:
There must be dozens of visitors of this ng using PHP (probably more
than the ones using js)

That's my profile - unfortunately I am unable to answer the question in your
o/p, being as I am at 'absolute beginner' status with that technology.

Good luck.

Nico Schuyt

William said:
That's my profile - unfortunately I am unable to answer the question
in your o/p, being as I am at 'absolute beginner' status with that
technology.
Good luck.

Ok, ok, I'll try the bloody alt.php :)
Regards, Nico

Hywel Jenkins

Nico Schuyt said:
I can overrule the standard php.ini of the server with one in my sites.

Disadvantage is that I have to change it when the site is parsed with a
newer version of PHP.
The matter is complicated because I let some sites parse with an older
version because of problems with LOAD DATA INFILE.

Just wonder if it is possible (and wise) to apply a php.ini with only the
things I want to change (like maximum execution time (Limited in the server
.in to 90 seconds; can be increased to 300)

Regards, Nico

Could you not set the values you need using PHP functions, rather than
the INI file? For example, the execution time can be set in the PHP
script itself without the need for a customised php.ini file.

Check the PHP docs to see what else you can set at run-time.

Nico Schuyt

Hywel said:
Nico Schuyt wrote
Could you not set the values you need using PHP functions, rather than
the INI file? For example, the execution time can be set in the PHP
script itself without the need for a customised php.ini file.
Check the PHP docs to see what else you can set at run-time.

Great idea!! Thanks.
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/PHP_problems.html :
"To change execution time of a PHP script you can use the PHP function
'set_time_limit(int second)" instead of modify manually PHP.ini file. You've
just to give the execution time in second."