[OT] - decent newsreader

Noah Roberts

I need a decent newsreader that displays in threaded view. Back in the
day I used FreeAgent, but you can't get it anymore. I've been a
longtime user of Thunderbird but it just keeps getting worse with each
release and now, for some reason, has taken to locking up for long
periods of time - it's pretty much useless now.

Went on a web hunt and everything looked like crap except for this Omea
thing. Unfortunately it doesn't have a thread display! How you can
call yourself a news reader and not have threaded display...whatever.

So I need a decent Windows news reader if there is such a thing anymore.

red floyd

And on an semi-(un)related note,

Has Google finally fixed the spam issue? There was only 1 spam thread
this morning, and it looked like many of the older spam posts are gone!

Alf P. Steinbach

* red floyd:
And on an semi-(un)related note,

Has Google finally fixed the spam issue?

No, they haven't: there is a regular stream of spam from GG, but most of it is
cancelled by some cancel-bot (3 times kudos to whoever's running that -- if
only Google could run it before sending the spam out in the world at large!).

But Google has reportedly made it possible to report spam also for Usenet groups.

I haven't checked that myself, though, so it's just an unsubstantiated rumour.
Based on Google's actual policy so far, I'm not sure I believe it.

Cheers,

- Alf

Tim Slattery

Noah Roberts said:
I need a decent newsreader that displays in threaded view. Back in the
day I used FreeAgent, but you can't get it anymore.

The free version is gone, except as a time-limited trial. So put out
$29 bucks and get Agent.

red floyd

* red floyd:

No, they haven't: there is a regular stream of spam from GG, but most of it is
cancelled by some cancel-bot (3 times kudos to whoever's running that  --  if
only Google could run it before sending the spam out in the world at large!).

But Google has reportedly made it possible to report spam also for Usenet groups.
They have (working from GG right now). There's a "Report as spam"
link for each thread.
And GG is apparently filtering for their UI, at least.

Jerry Coffin

I need a decent newsreader that displays in threaded view. Back in the
day I used FreeAgent, but you can't get it anymore. I've been a
longtime user of Thunderbird but it just keeps getting worse with each
release and now, for some reason, has taken to locking up for long
periods of time - it's pretty much useless now.

Went on a web hunt and everything looked like crap except for this Omea
thing. Unfortunately it doesn't have a thread display! How you can
call yourself a news reader and not have threaded display...whatever.

So I need a decent Windows news reader if there is such a thing anymore.

I rather like Gravity. It's open source, though not really portable.
It's still under reasonably active development (the most recent beta
was released a couple weeks ago).

Available from: http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/

Default User

Noah said:
I need a decent newsreader that displays in threaded view. Back in
the day I used FreeAgent, but you can't get it anymore.

I've been a
longtime user of Thunderbird but it just keeps getting worse with
each release and now, for some reason, has taken to locking up for
long periods of time - it's pretty much useless now.

Went on a web hunt and everything looked like crap except for this
Omea thing. Unfortunately it doesn't have a thread display! How you
can call yourself a news reader and not have threaded
display...whatever.

So I need a decent Windows news reader if there is such a thing
anymore.

It's clear what all your requirements are. I selected XanaNews, because
it met my two main ones. It had to look about like my old Netscape
reader did, and have robust filtering, including ability to filter
cross-posted newsgroups.

Brian

James Kanze

And on an semi-(un)related note,
Has Google finally fixed the spam issue? There was only 1
spam thread this morning, and it looked like many of the older
spam posts are gone!

They've changed something, apparently with relationship to the
spam issue. I know that it has become a lot more difficult to
post recently, with additional displays appearing to ensure that
I am human (identifying distorted text). Apparently triggered
by the fact that the changes also slowed it down so much I
thought my connection wasn't working, and was constantly
clicking to reload, resend, or what ever. (I don't get the
messages if I'm careful to wait long enough between each event.)

Dr. Coffee

They have (working from GG right now).  There's a "Report as spam"
link for each thread.

There is also a "Report this profile" option. Might be
more efefctive to report a user that is a persistent
spammer, than reporting each thread or post.

Ian Collins

Noah said:
I need a decent newsreader that displays in threaded view. Back in the
day I used FreeAgent, but you can't get it anymore. I've been a
longtime user of Thunderbird but it just keeps getting worse with each
release and now, for some reason, has taken to locking up for long
periods of time - it's pretty much useless now.

I've been a long time user of Thunderbird and I don't see the issues you
report.

Noah Roberts

I rather like Gravity. It's open source, though not really portable.
It's still under reasonably active development (the most recent beta
was released a couple weeks ago).

Available from: http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/

Thanks. This seems to be what I want so far. Other clients I could
find were all about searching binaries and/or didn't display thread
context.

Gerhard Fiedler

Noah said:
So I need a decent Windows news reader if there is such a thing anymore.

I use 40tude Dialog. It's pretty good, with the one annoying bug that
messages encoded in base64 are not handled correctly (EOL is missing
when reading, text is not marked as citation when replying). Free but
not open source, and development has stopped quite a while ago, so this
bug won't be fixed ever, it seems.

Gerhard

Noah Roberts wrote:

Thanks. This seems to be what I want so far. Other clients I could
find were all about searching binaries and/or didn't display thread
context.

What do you mean by, "thread context"?

Brian