[OT] Eclipse won't debug!

Alex Hunsley

Sorry that this is OT here, but I am a little desperate!
Debugging hasn't been working in eclipse for a couple of days now. All
the settings are correct, and what they used to be. When I launch my
program in debug mode, the editor switches to the debugging view, but
that's it... my application sometimes doesn't come up at all, sometimes
it manages to show the splash screen, but nothing after that. Checking
"stop in main" in the debug dialog doesn't do anything, neither does
setting a breakpoint as early on in my code as possible (Read: main
method).
Anyone had this problem, or have any ideas what's going on? I've looked
at the .log file and it says nothing about this (something about errors
earlier, but nothing now).

cheers,
alex

Alex Hunsley

Alex said:
Sorry that this is OT here, but I am a little desperate!
Debugging hasn't been working in eclipse for a couple of days now. All
the settings are correct, and what they used to be. When I launch my
program in debug mode, the editor switches to the debugging view, but
that's it... my application sometimes doesn't come up at all, sometimes
it manages to show the splash screen, but nothing after that. Checking
"stop in main" in the debug dialog doesn't do anything, neither does
setting a breakpoint as early on in my code as possible (Read: main
method).
Anyone had this problem, or have any ideas what's going on? I've looked
at the .log file and it says nothing about this (something about errors
earlier, but nothing now).

cheers,
alex

Weird! I changed the prefs in eclipse to make the compiler 1.4
compliant. Then when I compile I get the following:

"a.b.c.D at localhost:14161 contains obsolete methods.

Reason:
the virtual machine was unable to remove all stack frames running
old code from the call stack. The VM is not supplying the debugger with
valid data for those frames. Stepping into these obsolete frames may be
hazardous to the target VM."

Nothing in the eclipse docs or on google about this, has anyone got any
idea how to identify these obsolete methods?

thanks
alex

P.Hill

Alex said:
Sorry that this is OT here, but I am a little desperate!

Even if you worked out the problem, I will mention
that I think comp.lang.java.softwaretools is exactly for
this kind of question.

-Paul