[OT] Gap Analysis?

Rhino

I'm just looking at some job descriptions and came across a term that I
don't recognize: "Gap Analysis". I was wondering if anyone could enlighten
me?

Here is the context:

DATA ANALYST

JOB DESCRIPTION & QUALIFICATIONS:

a.. Advanced knowledge of MS Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Project and Oracle

b.. College Diploma/University Degree in Computers

c.. Perform gap analysis of existing IT systems

d.. Programming Knowledge

e.. Database control, and ability to "crunch" data

f.. Excellent verbal and written English communication skills

g.. Excellent organizational skills

I'm guessing that gap analysis is an attempt to determine what information
is NOT available in existing computer systems. If you built such a list, you
could prioritize it and then build systems that filled the gaps. Is that
anywhere close to right?

I'm also curious to know if there are standard methodologies and tools for
doing gap analyses or if it's done more by "the seat of the pants". If there
are standard methodologies or tools, could anyone identify the names of
these tools and methodologies for me?

I'm trying to figure out if I have a reasonable chance of doing this job
with my existing skills or learning it quickly.

Oliver Wong

Rhino said:
I'm just looking at some job descriptions and came across a term that I
don't recognize: "Gap Analysis". I was wondering if anyone could enlighten
me?

Looks like it's a term with many definitions:

Business:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gap_analysis
http://www.isixsigma.com/dictionary/Gap_Analysis-629.htm
http://praxiom.com/iso-gap.htm

Ecology:
http://gapanalysis.nbii.gov/
http://www.fish.washington.edu/naturemapping/wagap/public_html/
http://www.iowagap.iastate.edu/whatisit.htm

Engineering:
http://www.ifm.eng.cam.ac.uk/dstools/choosing/gapana.html

- Oliver

Rhino

Oliver Wong said:

The seond of the business definitions accords fairly closely with what I
guessed, as does the engineering definition. Since the job description was
clearly IT-related I'm going to ignore the ecological definitions as
irrelevant.

Still, the job description leaves something to be desired if it fails to
define a key term which just happens to be ambiguous....