[OT] It all looks scary coming back

Minti

Sometime back I used to be a regular to this group, I was helped by
many of the people in this group, Ben pfaff, Dann Corbit, Dan Pop,
Lawrence Kirby, CBF, Programmer Dude and Richard Heathfield I remember
you all, I missed you all, I would like to thank every regular for
helping me when I needed you all. When I was a regular I always
thought that I would stay a regular here, however since I have not
been posted much in this group everything looks "scary" again pretty
much the like the first time I posted in this group. I guess I feel it
more frustrating because I have not been doing much of C these days. I
blame myself and my academics for this they have included subjects
like VB in our curriculum and I can't spend much time on doing what I
love to do. I don't know if this is true for many students in
academics however. I just wonder weather I should leave my student
life one of these days. Any guidence please?

Thanks once again to all who helped me.

Mike Wahler

Minti said:
Sometime back I used to be a regular to this group, I was helped by
many of the people in this group, Ben pfaff, Dann Corbit, Dan Pop,
Lawrence Kirby, CBF, Programmer Dude and Richard Heathfield I remember
you all, I missed you all, I would like to thank every regular for
helping me when I needed you all. When I was a regular I always
thought that I would stay a regular here, however since I have not
been posted much in this group everything looks "scary" again pretty
much the like the first time I posted in this group.

Why does it look 'scary'? Rather than being 'scared', I find
it very comforting that I can come here and get such good
quality assistance with C.
I guess I feel it
more frustrating because I have not been doing much of C these days. I
blame myself and my academics for this they have included subjects
like VB in our curriculum and I can't spend much time on doing what I
love to do. I don't know if this is true for many students in
academics however. I just wonder weather I should leave my student
life one of these days. Any guidence please?

Only you can decide that. It's not my profession,
but I consider myself a perpetual student (in all
things).

-Mike

David Rubin

Minti said:
[...] When I was a regular I always
thought that I would stay a regular here, however since I have not
been posted much in this group everything looks "scary" again pretty
much the like the first time I posted in this group.

Fortunately for you, the same topics keep getting recycled year after
year after year...You probably haven't missed much.

/david

Minti

Mike Wahler said:
Why does it look 'scary'? Rather than being 'scared', I find
it very comforting that I can come here and get such good
quality assistance with C.

I guess since I have not been programming much for quite some time
now, I am just down with confidence :-(.

Bill Godfrey

Programmer Dude said:
Whoo Wee!! I made the majors! (-:

I'm still in the minor league I see. Is a small joke about the supply of
round brackets going to be my sole contribution to the world? (-: :)

Bill, "1974-2061 RIP. He would have got SQL if it was more like C."

Steve Zimmerman

Minti wrote:

[snip]
I guess I feel it
more frustrating because I have not been doing much of C these days. I
blame myself and my academics for this they have included subjects
like VB in our curriculum and I can't spend much time on doing what I
love to do. I don't know if this is true for many students in
academics however. I just wonder weather I should leave my student
life one of these days. Any guidence please?

People tend to do better at what they love to do.
I myself faced a choice of whether to get a computer science
degree or stick with C programming, and I chose to stick with C,
primarily because I hate OOP, and I would have had to do a lot of it
to get a degree.
I have no regrets.

--Steve

Greg P.

| academics however. I just wonder weather I should leave my student
| life one of these days. Any guidence please?

Well I can relate to your current feelings. When I young pup in school
getting my bachelor's in Computer Science I was ecstatic about the chance to
learn programming, figuring I would write the next Grand Theft Auto
instantly, never realizing how hard programming is.

I made some changes to my classes and jumped into C programming before all
the other programming courses. At first I thought that it was a pain in the
ass and a deprecated language. The course didn't offer much in ways of
anything beyond console printing and file I/O. Once the class finished, I
tried to search out other means of learning the whole, complete C language
during my break. I began to get a hang of pretty much everything (not that I
could write an efficient program, I just had the theories conquered). I
bought a lot of text books (all the good ones). After school continued I was
placed in a C++ course which I enjoyed: learning about objects and
templates.

When I came back again, VB was being taught....then it was java...etc, etc,
etc. I lost all my contact with C and C++ by that time and couldn't even
remember how to write the simplest of programs. A couple years went by, with
C/C++ books piled very high on my bookshelf, completely forgotten. I didn't
even have the time to read one (to recap) if I wanted, due to the workload
of being a fulltime+ student.

I stuck through school, and by the time I graduated, I could create an
awesome database model, Windows network, Linux install, presentation as a
project manager....but I could not write a solid program.

I promised myself that once I graduated I would spend my free time on the
books, and I did. It took me months to rekindle all the old information that
I had previously learned years before. I am still hitting the books
(advanced now) trying as hard as I can to become a sponge. I stuck with it
and am now writing my own libraries, Linux/Win32 games, etc. I am at the
ripe old age of ((2 << 4) - 12) and figure I will stick with it for many,
many years to come.

Again, I was in the same position you are in. My advice to you is stay in
school. If you can spare the time, find exercises in C/C++ books to build up
your experience. The longer you spend on programming, the longer you can
retain it without having to look back into the books.

I also came back to this newsgroup and comp.lang.c++ to find a bunch of new
people helping the "newbies" out. It was weird at first, seeing the same
damn questions (no offense to you guys learning =P) posted day after day.
The only reason I came back to offer what (little) help I can to those
needing it was due to my thanks to those that helped me years ago, and
trying to return that favor to the new beginners who I hope will eventually
come back and do the same.

Be logical in your convictions about school and remember that C/C++ will
always be here (contrary to what jack-ass trolls claim occasionally).
Personally, I don't give a shit about .NET, VB, Java, C#, and all the other
plethora of languages being tossed at the poor, confused consumer in these
current times (though I am fond of ASM and D (www.digitalmars.com/d). Even
if I do take a break from C or C++ I will know it's there when I come back.
So should you. =)

Best hopes,
Greg P.

Programmer Dude

Bill said:
I'm still in the minor league I see.

Yeah, well, work on that SQL stuff.... :-|
Is a small joke about the supply of round brackets going to be
my sole contribution to the world? (-: :)

I've been trying to do my part to balance things! (-:

Or I suppose I could frown more often... :-(

Greg P.

| > I am at the ripe old age of ((2 << 4) - 12)
|
| 20 is old?
Indeed considering the young age of some people I have helped in forums. I
started programming late (17-18ish). I have much catching up to do with all
these old farts =P

Joona I Palaste

Greg P. said:
| > I am at the ripe old age of ((2 << 4) - 12)
|
| 20 is old?
Indeed considering the young age of some people I have helped in forums. I
started programming late (17-18ish). I have much catching up to do with all
these old farts =P

I started programming *in C* at your age, but my "career" in
programming at all is much older. I think I wrote my first shoddy
little BASIC programs on a Commodore 64 at the age of 9 or 10.

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ---------------------------\
"I am lying."

Greg P.

| I started programming *in C* at your age, but my "career" in
| programming at all is much older. I think I wrote my first shoddy
| little BASIC programs on a Commodore 64 at the age of 9 or 10.

Ah, BASIC, me too! I wrote a game(?) of flashing lights (colored bouncing
circles, lines, dots) in QBASIC on a 386 20mhz at 10. I'm too young for
commodore I believe =P

goose

(e-mail address removed)9.co.uk.invalid (Bill Godfrey) wrote in message
round brackets going to be my sole contribution to the world? (-: :)

not "sole" ... afaics u have contributed the ascii-art star wars
evil empires fighter ships as well :)

goose,
may the source be well-defined

Minti

Mark A. Odell said:
(e-mail address removed) (Minti) wrote in

Weather involves wind, rain, snow, temperature.
Whether was probably the word you wanted.

I guess it is just the case that the Weather is not fine. Student days
seem to be too Weathery ;).

CBFalconer

Programmer said:
Yeah, well, work on that SQL stuff.... :-|

I've been trying to do my part to balance things! (-:

Or I suppose I could frown more often... :-(

Just yell :-()