Password protection question.

Jonathan N. Little

Guy said:
Posted 13 minutes before you wrote the above:

Maybe, but your are making the assumption that all news servers are
updated instantaneously where in fact that are not. Your post was was
not visible on ntelos.net until after I posted this.

BTW your suggestion: "On a Microsoft IIS server, you might also try
saving the text file as foo.htaccess and then renaming it to .htaccess
on the server." will not work from a Windows computer, you ither must
use specific software that will allow it or use some other OS, like
Linux that will allow to to create such a filename then copy the file...

Neredbojias

As he is running PHP on that site I suspect he is going to use the
login credentials to set up a standard PHP session. Standard PHP
sessions are, by definition, secure.

Yep, but...

I tried sessions once on my own site and was quite dissatisfied. For
top security, sure, you probably need to use them, but for us single-0
agents there are enough ways to obfuscate things without that
particular onus. Oh, the page worked (-there was a cookie problem, but
it was a timing thing which I worked around), but the access time of
the page was _definitely_ lengthened, I ended-up with a whole bunch of
old sessions in some folder on my host server weeks later (-I thought
they were supposed to disappear within a reasonable time after usage?),
and I still believe there are some php flaws, perhaps minor, which
occur when using sessions (-with version 5, one or 2 sub-versions
earlier than the latest.) Anyway, for simple, non-commercial
passwording, it's probably preferable _not_ to use sessions and just
stick with normal coding methods (-or so I now believe.)

dorayme

Guy Macon said:
While it is always embarrassing to be
wrong about something and having someone else correct the error,
that is how we learn, and it is always a good thing to clear out
areas where one believes things that are not true, and I value
those who help me to better align what is in my mind with reality.
I really appreciate it.

O for Christ's sake!

DLU

The file is not implemented on a page you write.
It is acted upon by the server.
Each time a new page is opened, the .htaccess file is checked
automatically for any references to that page.

If you don't already have one, you create one with something as simple
as notepad.
Notepad saves the file as a .htaccess.txt. Once uploaded, rename it
removing the .txt
I hope this gets through. It seems as if my posts are going to the bit
bucket.

The system where my site is a MS server system.
I had a talk with the IP department today and it turns out the web
department does have password protected pages available.

--
***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *

dorayme

DLU said:
The system where my site is a MS server system.
I had a talk with the IP department today and it turns out the web
department does have password protected pages available.

Not surprising. Everyone loves secrecy. Earthlings evolved in a system
where fear and secrecy were key ingredients. Every human and every human
institution make provisions for such.

DLU

Trying to get through to newsgroups, posts keep failing.
--

DLU said:
Trying to get through to newsgroups, posts keep failing.

You are getting though on this. But perhaps you don't know it? Geez,
this is like talking to an answering machine.

rf

dorayme said:
You are getting though on this. But perhaps you don't know it? Geez,
this is like talking to an answering machine.

At least an answering machine listens to you ;-)