passwords and viewstate

Mike P

I have an Add User page where I want to enter details such as password
in a text box with textmode set to 'password'. However, one of the
fields required to have data entered into it is a dropdown which
repopulates other dropdowns on the SelectedIndexChanged event. This
event has the effect of resetting the password textbox to empty. I have
tried putting the password into a ViewState object on the
SelectedIndexChanged event, but it still disappears some point between
this event and the page render.

What event do I need to use to put the value I have in my ViewState back
into my password text box?

Hans Kesting

I have an Add User page where I want to enter details such as password
in a text box with textmode set to 'password'. However, one of the
fields required to have data entered into it is a dropdown which
repopulates other dropdowns on the SelectedIndexChanged event. This
event has the effect of resetting the password textbox to empty. I have
tried putting the password into a ViewState object on the
SelectedIndexChanged event, but it still disappears some point between
this event and the page render.

What event do I need to use to put the value I have in my ViewState back
into my password text box?

By design (for security reasons) the password-field "forgets" the value
that might be set.
You need to use client-side javascript if you want to set (keep) a
value there.

Hans Kesting