Performance of .NET embedded forms controls

Guest

I have a simple embedded windows form control on a web page.
If I visit the page with the forms control for the first time it takes a
significant amount of time to show up. I understand this is the hit you take
the first time you visit a web application.

If I then close all browser instances and visit the page again it takes
between 3-4 seconds for the control to show up on a LAN. If I do not close
the browser down and visit the page again it is instantaneous. I know this
has to do with caching but can anybody suggest how to improve the performance
of inital load of the control.
When I say initial load I mean the time it takes to load when you visit the
page the first time for the browser instance.

Thanks,

Oldman

David Kyle

Hello Oldman,

I personally have experienced delays somewhat like the ones that you are
talking about. However I've noticed the behaviours of them being different.
First off I notice that it takes a long time to load the first time you
access the web application if the application has not been started yet. If
you have continuous access to your website you will never experience that
load time again.

The other 3-4 second load time that you are talking about, I haven't really
experienced. the only time it's not less than a second for me is if I'm
doing some serious database lookups intensive looping or possibly sometimes
when I make small changes to my aspx code (that doesn't require a
recompile).

I expect a faster computer might solve that 3-4 second delay. I run a P4
1.6Ghz and my pages run wonderfully.

David Kyle
www.chloemag.com

Lloyd Dupont

good one!
I have met this problm to and I'm with you, how could one solve that?

but I'm afraid it's not a feature they are very interested in
(by they I mean them..... :D, in Redmond)

bruce barker

for IE to host a .net control it needs to load the .net runtime, this is the
delay you are seeing - no getting around it. after the vm load - it will
need to create an appdoamin, and load your dll - (it may require a jit if
not cached - if its very complex, this can take awhile - maybe 20 seconds.)

when longhorn gets here, you can expect better performance in this area.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

| I have a simple embedded windows form control on a web page.
| If I visit the page with the forms control for the first time it takes a
| significant amount of time to show up. I understand this is the hit you
take
| the first time you visit a web application.
|
| If I then close all browser instances and visit the page again it takes
| between 3-4 seconds for the control to show up on a LAN. If I do not
close
| the browser down and visit the page again it is instantaneous. I know
this
| has to do with caching but can anybody suggest how to improve the
performance
| of inital load of the control.
| When I say initial load I mean the time it takes to load when you visit
the
| page the first time for the browser instance.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Oldman

Guest

Thanks for your replies.

Dave,

The machine you stated is the exact specs of the machine I'm running.
However, that machine is the one housing both the web server and the browser
I'm using.
That doesn't seem to be an issue however since if I go to another
developer's machine who is housing the same web application, I experience the
same behavior.