Perl 5.8.4 Slow

Paul Medynski

I'm seeing a significant performance degradataion between my two Debian
linux boxes. Before getting into too many deatils, I thought I'd see
if anyone has experienced a similar problem and can suggest a solution.

Box 1 (chetball):
- Pentium 233 MMX, 96 MB Ram
- Kernel 2.4.19
- Perl 5.6.1 built for i386-linux

Box 2 (pos):
- Celeron 300, 192 MB Ram
- Kernel 2.6.10-1-686
- Perl 5.8.4 built for i386-linux-thread-multi

I've got a simple module that I run on each machine using DProf:

chetball:/tmp# perl -d:DProf -e 'use LogFile;'; dprofpp -u tmon.out
Total Elapsed Time = 1.354992 Seconds
User Time = 0.814793 Seconds

pos:/tmp# perl -d:DProf -e 'use LogFile;'; dprofpp -u tmon.out
Total Elapsed Time = 5.597755 Seconds
User Time = 5.187755 Seconds

Yikes! The celeron box takes 5.6 seconds, whereas the p233 takes 1.4.

dprofpp on pos reports the following in its output:

POSIX::load_imports has 1 unstacked calls in outer
POSIX::AUTOLOAD has -1 unstacked calls in outer
Sys::Syslog::__ANON__ has 1 unstacked calls in outer
Sys::Syslog::AUTOLOAD has -1 unstacked calls in outer
Exporter::export has -3 unstacked calls in outer
Exporter::Heavy::heavy_export has 3 unstacked calls in outer

I'm not sure if that's indicative of the problem I'm seeing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul