perl and math

Bill Cunningham

I am looking at several languages for math work. Algebraic work mainly
linear equations and expanding and factoring equations. All this can be done
by hand of course and C has a good library. What can perl do with math?

Bill

ccc31807

I don't do much math, but do a fair amount of stats and data manipulation. I think Perl is a great tool, and I use Perl every day.

If I wee to start doing a lot of math, I'd take a very serious look at NumPy, SciPy, and mathplotlib in Python. I would also have a very strong bias for R, for the simple reason that I know it and use it.

For something old and new, try FORTRAN and Julia. I've never used these, but others have touted them for math.

Perl's very good, but I don't think that it's the best tool for math.

CC

Bill Cunningham

ccc31807 said:
I don't do much math, but do a fair amount of stats and data manipulation.
I think Perl is a great tool, and I use Perl every day.

If I wee to start doing a lot of math, I'd take a very serious look at
NumPy, SciPy, and mathplotlib in Python. I would also have a very strong
bias for R, for the simple reason that I know it and use it.

For something old and new, try FORTRAN and Julia. I've never used these,
but others have touted them for math.

Perl's very good, but I don't think that it's the best tool for math.

I looked at Ada too. It seemed too complicated. I like C ans it seems to
have an excellent library for math. Especially with some of the newer
standards out. I looked at python and the syntax seemed a little complicated
too. But the thing about python and perl is that you can get modules.

Bill

Bill Cunningham

[snip]

Also I have never heard of R or Julia. I guess you learn something new
everyday.

Bill

gamo

El 18/05/14 01:00, Bill Cunningham escribió:
I am looking at several languages for math work. Algebraic work mainly
linear equations and expanding and factoring equations. All this can be done
by hand of course and C has a good library. What can perl do with math?

Bill

Search in CPAN for symbolic math, I guess that's what you means.
For other types of math or stats, perl is perfectly suitable per se.

Horst-W. Radners

Bill Cunningham schrieb am 18.05.2014 01:00:
I am looking at several languages for math work. Algebraic work mainly
linear equations and expanding and factoring equations. All this can be done
by hand of course and C has a good library. What can perl do with math?

Assuming you don't mean "symbolic math", the CPAN lists about 1000
modules doing all sorts of math:

https://metacpan.org/search?q=Math::

Of course, *native* Perl isn't as fast as C, but many of the modules in
the Math:: namespace have compiled XS parts, which gives you comparable
speed.

Especially if you want to work with (large) matrices, have a look at the
PDL module.
It's intro says:

PDL - the Perl Data Language

PDL is the Perl Data Language, a perl extension that is designed for
scientific and bulk numeric data processing and display. It extends
perl's
syntax and includes fully vectorized, multidimensional array handling,
plus several paths for device-independent graphics output.

PDL is fast, comparable and often outperforming IDL and MATLAB in real
world applications. PDL allows large N-dimensional data sets such as
large
images, spectra, etc to be stored efficiently and manipulated quickly.

HTH, Horst

ccc31807

Also I have never heard of R or Julia.

R is hot. If you do statistics or data analysis, you owe it to yourself to take a good long look at R.

I know nothing about Julia except that people who seem to know say that it's good.

If you are doing math, what's wrong with Fortran? You can compile it with gcc, and it's been around for a ling, long time.

CC

Bill Cunningham

ccc31807 said:
R is hot. If you do statistics or data analysis, you owe it to yourself to
take a good long look at R.

I know nothing about Julia except that people who seem to know say that
it's good.

If you are doing math, what's wrong with Fortran? You can compile it with
gcc, and it's been around for a ling, long time.
I am not saying that there is anything wrong with Fortran. I have talked
to some who swear by g77 fortran 95 and some the more recent standards. I am
looking for opinions now before I get into anything. The (to me) simpliest
syntax seems to be perl. Just by looking a little bit and not really getting
into anything. But perl has modules too and I want to consider that. I am
looking into fortran too. Ada is out. Too complicated syntax to learn for
me.

Bill

Bill Cunningham

ccc31807 said:
R is hot. If you do statistics or data analysis, you owe it to yourself to
take a good long look at R.

[snip]

I appreciate your help much. Like I say I've never heard of R. I will
definately check into it.

Bill