Perl Debugger, Windows NT and BSODs

James Willmore

On 27 Aug 2003 05:38:29 -0700
I can't believe it!
Doesn't ANYbody else have this problem?
Why me?

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...08150127.2f51e1c3%40posting.google.com&rnum=2

Recently I don't even get bluescreens any more, just a black screen
as soon as I enter the debugger!
It's driving me nuts!

This happens when you use the debugger, yes? Well, you have a few
1) don't use the debugger - I don't; I use 'perl -c <script name
here>' to check syntax and sprinkle in 'print' statements in the code
to find the culprit or use Data::Dumper to see what variables are
assigned what values or a few other little tricks - just to stay away
from the debugger; maybe that's just me.
2) contact the vendor of your version of Perl - a visit to the vendor
website may prove helpful
3) if you built Perl yourself, you may consider how you built it -
'perl -V' will give you some idea of how it was built; perhaps the
issue resides there.

You may also consider the code you're writing. In the thread you
reference, one person made reference to 'system' calls going South.
Any of that going on in your code?

HTH

Bohne

Does it happen on every machine you've tried? Have you considered completely
rebuilding the machine?

--> it happened on my and my collegues NT machines, however, not on
the WIN XP machines I got!
So, I fear you're alone. You have much sympathy, but I doubt you'll find
an easy answer in the newsgroup. If you do figure it out, please let us
(and the archives) know.

--> in the meantime I upgraded Active Perl to 5.8.0 and have had only
one system crash since (which is a major improvement).
Even so, I am not holding my breath until I will have tested this for
some weeks...

Until then, thanks for you sympathy, that is much nicer than someone
taking the p... (not looking at anyone in particular!)