Perl-ish mail formatting question regarding "\t"

Discussion in 'Perl' started by - Bob -, Oct 7, 2007.

  1. - Bob -

    - Bob - Guest

    I'm stringing together some output that gets sent in a "plain text"
    email from Perl Net::SMTP to a POP server and is then pulled by the
    client. There's no MIME type, just plain text.

    I use \t to do some crude layout. Unfortunately the tab character
    seems to be ignored in MS Outlook/Express. It's in there, and if I
    view the raw message source in Outlook I can see the tabs working
    properly. But, it doesn't show up in the regular message viewing
    window. (Note: MS changes to a proportional font in the regular
    viewing window but I'd expect the tab to still space to some sort of
    indent).

    Thoughts on this? Is there another character combo besides \t that
    would force the tab? Is this just a specific MS Outlook specific flaw?
    Do I need to spew MIME headers to get this to work properly? (If so, I
    could use a pointer to a sample of proper MIME mail header spewing).
    Thanks,

    - Bob -, Oct 7, 2007

  2. - Bob -

    - Bob - Guest