Perl lib version (v5.6.0) doesn't match executable version (v5.8.0)

Francesco Moi

Hello.

On a Linux PC, I'm trying to install libwww-perl, but I get this error
message when 'make':

-------------
Perl lib version (v5.6.0) doesn't match executable version (v5.8.0) at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i386-linux/Config.pm line 21.
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 10.
----------------

If get my Perl version (perl -v):
This is perl, v5.6.0 built for i386-linux

Some hours ago, I tried to installed a module by using CPAN, and
it suggested me to install the new Perl version (5.8.0), but it
failed, and I supposed it wasn't installed.

I would be extremely obliged if anybody could tell me how to solve
this
problem.

Thank you very much.

Sisyphus

Francesco Moi said:
Hello.

On a Linux PC, I'm trying to install libwww-perl, but I get this error
message when 'make':

-------------
Perl lib version (v5.6.0) doesn't match executable version (v5.8.0) at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i386-linux/Config.pm line 21.
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 10.
----------------

Config.pm says you've got version 5.6.0 installed, but the perl executable
is version 5.8.0.
If get my Perl version (perl -v):
This is perl, v5.6.0 built for i386-linux

'perl -v' derives its output from info contained in Config.pm.
To find out what version the perl executable really is, run:
perl -e 'print $];'

If that produces '5.6.0', then I don't know what's going on. If it produces
'5.8.0', then that's what I would expect, but I still don't know what's
going on :)

Bottom line is that you've somehow achieved a mismatched installation, and
things won't function properly until you get it fixed.

I recommend that you re-install your perl unless you can establish that the
problem can be fixed by some trivial means.

Cheers,
Rob