Permission Denied

just1coder

Since the latest round of hot fixes several of my pages that use
frames have started throwing permission denied. They seem to occur
when I try to manipulate the content of one frame from another, or
from a popup window. Both frames are running on the same server
however they use different BASE HREF tags. Any ideas? Workarounds? It
only happens with Internet Explorer, Mozilla/Firefox work wonderfully.

Jc

This is probably IE's cross-frame browser security kicking in, perhaps
the security of the browser you're using to view the site has been
increased. There are a couple settings for cross-frame security
available from Internet Options, select the appropriate zone under the
security tab and click custom level to see them.

All of the frames from your site should have the same document.domain
property, as well as the same protocol. For example, http://mysite.com
and https://mysite.com won't be allowed to access each other, same as
http://myurl1.com and http://myurl2.com, even if they point to the same
ip.

More information:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/om/xframe_scripting_security.asp

I'm assuming something is setup incorrectly and it is not a bug in IE,
although that is entirely possible.

Jim Ley

All of the frames from your site should have the same document.domain
property, as well as the same protocol. For example, http://mysite.com
and https://mysite.com won't be allowed to access each other, same as
http://myurl1.com and http://myurl2.com, even if they point to the same
ip.

I'm assuming something is setup incorrectly and it is not a bug in IE,
although that is entirely possible.

I've seen this a fair bit, but still not been able to narrow it down
to a simple test case I can publish (I said I'd try and find it a
couple of weeks ago, not managed to yet - but I have been on the road
for most of it)

Jim.

just1coder

Yah, that's what I thought. I'll try adding the document.domain.

This just started happening after the latest round of updates / patches
from MS. It's not just XP SP2, but IE 6 in general.

just1coder

More good news ....

My PC has XP SP 2 on it as does my co-worker's. He does not get the
error but I do. The OS' are configured pretty much identically. Any
ideas?

Jc

Yeah, compare your settings for cross-frame security (available from
Internet Options) for your internet and local intranet zones.