pgcc vs. gcc question - using <complex.h>

Don Tucker

Hello, I have the following test program that I can compile with gcc,
but when I try to compile with the portland group compiler, pgcc, I
get a stream of errors.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <complex.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv){
complex double a={2.3+1.4*_Complex_I};
printf("a=%lf + i%lf\n",creal(a),cimag(a));
return 0;
}

I am able to use <complex> instead, and use the C++ complex class and
compile with pgCC, but since I eventually want to pass an array of
complex numbers to a Fortran function, this method is not appealing.
Is there some compiler directive that I need to use in order not to
get all of the errors?

Don

Mark A. Odell

(e-mail address removed) (Don Tucker) wrote in

Hello, I have the following test program that I can compile with gcc,
but when I try to compile with the portland group compiler, pgcc, I
get a stream of errors.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <complex.h>

Is complex.h part of ISO C? If it's a gcc thing, you'd be better off
asking in one of the appropriate gnu newsgroups.

Russell Hanneken

Mark said:
(e-mail address removed) (Don Tucker) wrote in

Is complex.h part of ISO C? If it's a gcc thing, you'd be better off
asking in one of the appropriate gnu newsgroups.

It's part of C99.

Don, what sort of errors are you getting?

CBFalconer

Mark A. Odell said:
(e-mail address removed) (Don Tucker) wrote in

Is complex.h part of ISO C? If it's a gcc thing, you'd be better
off asking in one of the appropriate gnu newsgroups.

No, it's all quite valid. The only problem is that it needs a C99
compliant compiler, which pgcc appears not to be. He would have
found out (I think) with gcc if he used -ansi -pedantic which
restricts to C90. He could also have used --std=C99 -pedantic and
had things work.

Minimum gcc flags for portability: -W -Wall -ansi -pedantic

Mark A. Odell

No, it's all quite valid. The only problem is that it needs a C99
compliant compiler, which pgcc appears not to be. He would have

I learn something new everyday. Thanks.

Jon Willeke

CBFalconer said:
No, it's all quite valid. The only problem is that it needs a C99
compliant compiler, which pgcc appears not to be.

Perhaps PGCC ships without a C99 library. Comeau C/C++ is advertised as
having "amazing C99 support," but is dependent on something like Dinkum
for full C99 support.

Joe Wright

Jon said:
Perhaps PGCC ships without a C99 library. Comeau C/C++ is advertised as
having "amazing C99 support," but is dependent on something like Dinkum
for full C99 support.

Both Comeau and Dinkum are commercial things and cost a little money.
Greg and PJ are apparently cooperating to provide a C99 compiler product
to those who want it. What's the problem with Comeau + Dinkum?

in comp.lang.c i read:
CBFalconer wrote:

Perhaps PGCC ships without a C99 library.

which makes it non-conforming for a hosted impementation.