Phone number lookups...

William Morris

Our application tracks contact information. One of our clients, a car
dealership, has asked about being able to enter a lastname and phone number
and getting as much of the main form filled out as possible, "Hi, thanks for
stopping by Demaux Motors. Before we get started, can I get your phone
number, please? Oh, HI Joe, you still live on Gingerbread lane..?" etc etc
etc. Filling out the form is easy - sql query, javascript, blah blah blah -
getting the data is another. My question is three-fold:

1: I know that if you go to Google and type a phone number, you'll get a
query result back with address, city, state, etc. The documentation for the
Google APIs are written for .NET...anyone have any experience with those
APIs in classic ASP?

2: Is there some other service that provides this same functionality?

3: Any other ideas?

Regards,

- Wm

Ray at

So you're talking about for anyone in the world (or your country or
whatever)? Not people who have already been to your site and given you
their personal details? I personally would be a little freaked out if a
site that I hadn't been to before started telling me where I live and what
my cats' names are and all that. But, as far as using Google, maybe you can
start here. http://www.google.com/apis/

I don't know of any online directory services offer a connector service that
you can use in your site, but I'd imagine at least one of them does.

Ray at home

Roland Hall

:
[...]

You will only get public information. Unlisted numbers will not return.
http://infospace.com/
http://anywho.com/
http://reversephonedirectory.com/
http://switchboard.com/
http://555-1212.com/
http://www22.verizon.com/reverselookup/
http://www.primeris.com/fonefind/
http://mobilephoneno.com/
http://whitepages.com/phone-lookup

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

William Morris

No, nothing like that. This is for an application in use with a car
dealership ~ with the customer present ~ and starting the car buying
process, so the information is already mostly in hand.

As far as the google apis are concerned, I've downloaded them but they're
written for .NET. I was wondering if there was any documentation out there
for dotCLASSIC. <rant>There are still people in the world who haven't moved
to .NET, for cryin' out loud.</rant>

- Wm

--
William Morris
Product Development, Seritas LLC

"Ray at <%=sLocation%> [MVP]" <Too many private support requests - Ask for