photo gallery

dorayme

I am about to make a photo gallery page(s) for a website and am
interested in not doing what I usually do - never mind how, it
always looked nice but it is too time consuming and probably less
than clever. i am getting by with a bit of PHP these days. I need
a simple plan or modifiable template. But if it is complicated, I
likely will put it aside for "later study". Anyone recommend any
templates?

Steven Saunderson

I am about to make a photo gallery page(s) for a website and am
interested in not doing what I usually do

I have a PHP page that shows all images in a directory. The generated
page shows the previews (normally 320 * 240) and each has a link to the
larger version. Check <http://phelum.com/images/> to see the result if
you are interested. I have the main PHP file in my base directory and
each images directory has an 'index.php' file that 'require's the main
file and also an 'index.inc' that lists the images and their captions.

The files can be found at :

<http://phelum.com/files/images.php>
<http://phelum.com/files/images-index.inc>
<http://phelum.com/files/images-index.php>

dorayme

Steven Saunderson said:
I have a PHP page that shows all images in a directory. The generated
page shows the previews (normally 320 * 240) and each has a link to the
larger version. Check <http://phelum.com/images/> to see the result if
you are interested. I have the main PHP file in my base directory and
each images directory has an 'index.php' file that 'require's the main
file and also an 'index.inc' that lists the images and their captions.

The files can be found at :

<http://phelum.com/files/images.php>
<http://phelum.com/files/images-index.inc>
<http://phelum.com/files/images-index.php>

Thank you Steven. I will take a look to see how whether I will
adapt to suit my needs. Nice pics there... (used to spend hours
by the side of English railway tracks collecting train numbers
and being enveloped in the smoke as they went by, especially
under the Didsbury tunnel in Manchester... Really!)

David Segall

dorayme said:
I am about to make a photo gallery page(s) for a website and am
interested in not doing what I usually do - never mind how, it
always looked nice but it is too time consuming and probably less
than clever. i am getting by with a bit of PHP these days. I need
a simple plan or modifiable template. But if it is complicated, I
likely will put it aside for "later study". Anyone recommend any
templates?
If the photograph collection is fairly stable you might like to try
JAlbum <http://jalbum.net/>. It generates complete albums in HTML
format based on HTML templates and style sheets. The program comes
with many different formats but it is easy to write your own to
conform with an existing site.

mbstevens

I am about to make a photo gallery page(s) for a website and am
interested in not doing what I usually do - never mind how, it
always looked nice but it is too time consuming and probably less
than clever. i am getting by with a bit of PHP these days. I need
a simple plan or modifiable template. But if it is complicated, I
likely will put it aside for "later study". Anyone recommend any
templates?

This might be of some help,

dorayme

"Travis Newbury said:
I will assume a Flash solution is not an option... (0_o)

Not necessarily... recently there was a rather delicious looking
one (where some chap was thinking it was hard to pinch the
pics...) Apart from the over quickness of it all, it sure looked
classy to me. But it is not a big immediate option, no, I
guess...

(have only fiddled a bit with Flash, cute birthday cards for
friends and making pictures of me rotate and jump about the
screen to the backing of Sly and the Family Stones and really
embarrassing stuff like that...nothing I have done for the green
crinklies - which is always the test).

dorayme

David Segall said:
If the photograph collection is fairly stable you might like to try
JAlbum <http://jalbum.net/>. It generates complete albums in HTML
format based on HTML templates and style sheets. The program comes
with many different formats but it is easy to write your own to
conform with an existing site.

Yes, thanks, I do have various generators around, you remind me.
I once made a whole CD of family pics using the facilities of
Photoshop 6 and altered the HTML using Search and Replace in
BBEdit... I have other software that could do this I guess.
Actually, you are reminding me to look to see if the more modern
generators I have will have some natural elegance of their own.
One usually has to spend a lot of time making the generated stuff
clean and a fit to the website concerned and it is sometimes a
question whether writing it up from scratch is not easier in the
end.

I guess I am looking for an actual template that looks nice and
has PHP aspects to it, that can be adapted to random insertions
server side and so on... And is easy to adapt. Someone has kindly
shown me his PHP linked set up already.

Info_Junkie

dorayme said:
I am about to make a photo gallery page(s) for a website and am
interested in not doing what I usually do - never mind how, it
always looked nice but it is too time consuming and probably less
than clever. i am getting by with a bit of PHP these days. I need
a simple plan or modifiable template. But if it is complicated, I
likely will put it aside for "later study". Anyone recommend any
templates?

Hope this helps. I am new to Web Development. So I use the Internet
to help me learn. I found a program called Thumawumba. It makes
thumbnails of the photos you select. Then is writes the HTML for you.
You have a few options on format. Basically is present the thumbnails
on a page. If the user wants the full version, he/she clicks on it and
the full version loads. Based on the number of thumbnails, the program
creates pages with "back, next" and such.

Info_Junke