Port of python stdlib to other languages.

vk

Have there been ports of the Python standard library to other
languages?

I would imagine using pickle, urllib, and sys in C (with pythonic
naming conventions) would be easier than using other libraries to do
the same thing.

Diez B. Roggisch

vk said:
Have there been ports of the Python standard library to other
languages?

I would imagine using pickle, urllib, and sys in C (with pythonic
naming conventions) would be easier than using other libraries to do
the same thing.

AFAIK not. You could try elmer (found on SF) to expose these as C-DLL.
However, I doubt this will be widely adopted - to much hassle,
especially for OO-style interfaces. Those aren't properly exposable.

What do you need C for anyway? Or, to put it the other way round - why
not expose whatever you need in C as python extension, and write your
app in Python?

Diez

vk

AFAIK not. You could try elmer
Elmer looks very interesting, but not really what I was getting at.
What do you need C for anyway? Or, to put it the other way round - why
not expose whatever you need in C as python extension, and write your
app in Python?

I'm not looking to write a Python app atm.

Just curious if someone had started a project like this, to, say, make
Python users more comfortable using other languages (for whatever
reason),
or allow other people to try "python-like" code in their language to
see
if it suits them.

Mensanator

Elmer looks very interesting, but not really what I was getting at.

I'm not looking to write a Python app atm.

Just curious if someone had started a project like this, to, say, make
Python users more comfortable using other languages (for whatever
reason),
or allow other people to try "python-like" code in their language to
see
if it suits them.

But wouldn't your language of choice first have to support
things like lists, generators, etc.? I can use GMP library
in C instead of gmpy in Python, but not if I need to use
Python things that I don't know how to implement in C.