Portable linux python install

Mike M

Hello,

I've been digging around the list archives and I haven't found a good
answer to this, so I was hoping someone on this list could help me
out. Here's my conundrum:

I have a python application which I'd like to distribute to thousands
of machines in our server farm. The good news is, all of the machines
I'd like to run this application on are running Red Hat Linux. The
bad news is, they are various versions of RHEL - some Red Hat 7.3 and
RHEL 2.1, a lot more RHEL 3, even more RHEL 4 and some RHEL 5 to boot.
Because of this variation of base installs of Python (1.5 up to 2.4
and everywhere in-between), I was wondering if there was a way to
compile a common python 2.5 that I could then drop into the /opt
directory and run from there, leaving the system python in place. I
understand there may be some glibc compatibility issues, but hopefully
that is as simple as installing the appropriate compat-* libraries.

Is this possible? If so, what are the steps to do it? Has anyone
ever tried to do something similar?

I apologize if this is a ridiculously simple question, but things like
this always throw me for a loop.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or pointers.

Mike

Martin Schmitz

Am 26.02.08 schrieb "Mike M said:
I have a python application which I'd like to distribute to thousands
of machines in our server farm.

Install everything you need on the oldest box available and package it
with PyInstaller (http://pyinstaller.python-hosting.com/). Then you get
binaries which are only linked against libc - and as it happens to be
the oldest version of libc around you shouldn't have problems running
the binaries with newer ones.

HTH,
Martin