PPM installation error - Couldn't open file c:\temp/modulename/ for writing

Andre Caron

Hello,

I am installing a Perl module Windows 2000 Server and get the following
error message:

C:\>ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/Crypt-SSLeay.ppd
Error installing package
'http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/Crypt-SSLeay.ppd': C
ouldn't open C:\temp/Crypt-SSLeay/ for writing

C:\>

Notice the direction of the slashes. Is there a parameter to specify
the directory?

The command works properly on Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP
(2 desktops).

Any suggestions or solutions are very welcome... ;-)

Andre Caron
Mirabel, Canada

A. Sinan Unur

Hello,

I am installing a Perl module Windows 2000 Server and get the
following error message:

C:\>ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/Crypt-SSLeay.ppd
Error installing package
'http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/Crypt-SSLeay.ppd': C
ouldn't open C:\temp/Crypt-SSLeay/ for writing

C:\>

Notice the direction of the slashes. Is there a parameter to specify
the directory?

The slashes don't matter. AFAIK, the temp directory is first obtained
from the environment variables called TEMP and/or TMP. So, check if
those point to a directory to which you can write.
The command works properly on Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP
(2 desktops).

I have a feeling the environment variables are set up correctly on those
machines.

Sinan

Sisyphus

..
..
Is there a parameter to specify the directory?
..
..

Yes:

ppm> settings tempdir
tempdir: C:\DOCUME~1\Rob\LOCALS~1\Temp
ppm> settings tempdir D:\crap
Setting 'tempdir' set to 'D:\crap'.
ppm> settings tempdir
tempdir: D:\crap
ppm>

According to the docs, that change should persist. But for me that's not the
case and I would have to reset tempdir every time I opened a new ppm shell.

See 'ppm help' and 'ppm settings help'.

There's also fairly good ppm (html) documentation in your
Perl/html/faq/ActivePerl-faq2.html file.

Cheers,
Rob