Preloading images?

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Fabian said:
^^

As I have no idea what comb-like quoting is,

I have marked it for you here.
and as you are the first person ever to comment unfavourably on my
quoting style,

There is a first time for everything. [psf 3.3]
I think I shall pass on changing my modus operandi.

I did what you should have done and used Google before posting:

http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/

HTH & F'up2 poster

PointedEars

Fabian

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn said:
I have marked it for you here.

We call that broken quotes, or wrapped quotes. Take your pick.
I did what you should have done and used Google before posting:

Why do you say I should have done it? Why am I under some kind of
obligation? I am following teh standards by setting the line wrap length
at 72 characters. The question is, why aren't you, and presumably, that
program, following that standard?

Ah, I see what you're talking about now. I shan't be downloading that
program. You see, while it may well appear that I am using msoe, I am in
fact using a custom news reader that I wrote myself, which creates the
headers to mimic msoe as a stealth move. I would be surprised if this
program of yours is compatible.

Either that or:

I have no desire to install additional programs on my computer, no
matter how inobtrusive they may appear. It appears this program could
manipulate my text when I post some code for example, which would not be
what I want.

Either that or:

Every newsreader (since about 1973 or so anyway) has an option to set
the line length at which it automatically wraps text, and this accepts a
value of 80 or less (for backwards compatibility with text only
readers). Every group I have ever seen recomends setting this value to
72, which will allow 4 levels of quoting before any quoting gets broken.
This is in fact the default in msoe iirc. It is certainly the current
setting on my machine (just checked), and I dont recall ever changing
it. So if my quoting gets broken after a single level of quotes, the
fault lies with the previous poster for not following the standard, not
with me.

Take your pick.

[posted, not emailed, to save bandwidth. You do read the group, dont
you? No need to set headers to force an email reply too.]

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

Fabian said:
We call that broken quotes, or wrapped quotes. Take your pick.

I'd say "broken".
Every newsreader (since about 1973 or so anyway) has an option to set
the line length at which it automatically wraps text, and this accepts a
value of 80 or less (for backwards compatibility with text only
readers).

There is definitly disagreement there. I recommend *never* to wrap
automatically. Especially in programming groups, braking lines
automatically is downright dangerous.

If you do break lines, either reflow the paragraph or retain the
quoting level on all of the broken lines. Broken quotes are just that:
broken. They incorrectly attribute every other line to the wrong
author.
Every group I have ever seen recomends setting this value to
72,

The recommendation is to not write lines longer than 72 characters,
not to break other people's lines where they are not meant to be
broken.
which will allow 4 levels of quoting before any quoting gets broken.

Not breaking lines will not break any quotes. It will give excessively
long lines, but some times that is necessary. Alternatively, you can
reflow the paragraph.
This is in fact the default in msoe iirc.

Probably. Having a widely used program have such bad defaults is still
bad.
It is certainly the current setting on my machine (just checked),
and I dont recall ever changing it. So if my quoting gets broken
after a single level of quotes, the fault lies with the previous
poster for not following the standard, not with me.

No. The recommendation of 72 character lines is there to minimize the
number of wrapped lines and the damage done by broken programs. The
fault for breaking lines incorrectly is still with your program (not
with you, unless you desire that behavior).
Take your pick.

You program creates broken quotes. Conclusion: Your program is broken.
You can't blame anybody but the program for its actions.

Broken quotes is one of the worse bugs to have, since it attributes text
to the wrong author. I accept that your program is broken and you can't
help it, but don't think for a second that it is correct or desireable
behavior. And if you can fix it, please do.

/L