Prevent Postbacks in the History List

Guest

I've spent quite some time searching for a way to prevent the browser from
adding each of my postbacks to the History list, and have found several
different methods to do that or something similar, all of which either don't
do what I need or don't work at all. The closest solution is to enable
SmartNavigation, but it causes my first postback to effectively be ignored,
and it adds that first page view to the history. If I could figure out how
to get it to work properly with my page, I'd be happy to use it. Is this
typical behavior? Is there a way around it?

Since SmartNavigation isn't working for me, and since it's deprecated, I
tried the replacement solutions suggested by Microsoft
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913721).

Disabling the cache prevents my user from getting to an older version of the
page, which is part of what I need to do. But each postback is still added
to the history, so the user will have to scroll through the history to get
past all the postbacks, or hit the Back button many times.

I tried the hidden frame technique, but that didn't work at all for me. I
don't know if I did something wrong (I don't see how), or if it doesn't work
in IE7, or if it doesn't work with .aspx pages. Each postback is still added
to the history, and each Back button takes me to a cached page (unless the
cache is turned off). In practice it's no different than what I started with.

The location.replace technique still adds the postback to the history, and
wipes out my postback page changes, making it the worst of the four solutions.

I've seen web pages that do what I want. Can it really be that difficult?
How do YOU do it?

Thanks,

Mike.