Printing

sara.koike

I need to build a capability where I can print to a local printer from
a web app where there is no user interaction required.

We originally thought about doing a print server in a central location
and use java print services to call an ip for a printer to print.

We'd prefer to not have to install all the print drivers and the
individual printer entities to the printer centrally.

Is there anyway to develop an applet that can invoke the same type of
java print services which can be triggered by a web page loading?

thx
Sara

Daniel Pitts

I need to build a capability where I can print to a local printer from
a web app where there is no user interaction required.

We originally thought about doing a print server in a central location
and use java print services to call an ip for a printer to print.

We'd prefer to not have to install all the print drivers and the
individual printer entities to the printer centrally.

Is there anyway to develop an applet that can invoke the same type of
java print services which can be triggered by a web page loading?

thx
Sara
Hmm... Well, if the webapp is on the same machine that the printer is
connected to, then you just print normally.

Actually, I think all you would need to do is configure the printer in
any case, and print normally.
I know there are printing capabilities in Java, take a look in the API
documents.

Oliver Wong

Daniel Pitts said:
Hmm... Well, if the webapp is on the same machine that the printer is
connected to, then you just print normally.

Actually, I think all you would need to do is configure the printer in
any case, and print normally.
I know there are printing capabilities in Java, take a look in the API
documents.

The keywords "no user interaction", "applet" and "print" raises a
warning for me. I think the applet would invoke a security exception unless
the user interacts by saying "Yes, I am willing to let this applet I got off
the network have control over my printer."

If this is for a LAN, I think the OP would have more luck writing this
as a (possibly webstarted) application than as an applet.

- Oliver