problem finding XML module

zorro

Hello,

I need to parse XML on the server but I cannot install any modules on
the system because I only have ftp access. Contacting the administrator
and asking to install a module is not an option. This means I can only
use one of the modules already installed. The problem is I don't know
which of the installed modules parses xml. I tried CGI::XML but that
extension is not installed. Could someone suggest a few possibilities
from list below please?

ByteLoader.pm
B.pm
DynaLoader.pm
Config.pm
Cwd.pm
DB_File.pm
Encode.pm
Errno.pm
Fcntl.pm
GDBM_File.pm
IO.pm
NDBM_File.pm
O.pm
ODBM_File.pm
Opcode.pm
POSIX.pm
SDBM_File.pm
Safe.pm
Socket.pm
Storable.pm
XSLoader.pm
attrs.pm
encoding.pm
lib.pm
ops.pm
threads.pm
re.pm
AnyDBM_File.pm
AutoLoader.pm
AutoSplit.pm
Benchmark.pm
CGI.pm
CPAN.pm
Carp.pm
DB.pm
Digest.pm
DirHandle.pm
Dumpvalue.pm
English.pm
Env.pm
Exporter.pm
Fatal.pm
FileCache.pm
FileHandle.pm
FindBin.pm
Memoize.pm
NEXT.pm
PerlIO.pm
SelectSaver.pm
SelfLoader.pm
Shell.pm
Switch.pm
Symbol.pm
Test.pm
Thread.pm
UNIVERSAL.pm
abbrev.pl
assert.pl
attributes.pm
autouse.pm
base.pm
bigfloat.pl
bigint.pl
bigint.pm
bignum.pm
bigrat.pl
bigrat.pm
blib.pm
bytes.pm
bytes_heavy.pl
cacheout.pl
charnames.pm
complete.pl
constant.pm
ctime.pl
diagnostics.pm
dotsh.pl
dumpvar.pl
exceptions.pl
fastcwd.pl
fields.pm
filetest.pm
find.pl
finddepth.pl
flush.pl
getcwd.pl
getopt.pl
getopts.pl
hostname.pl
if.pm
importenv.pl
integer.pm
less.pm
locale.pm
look.pl
newgetopt.pl
open.pm
open2.pl
open3.pl
overload.pm
perl5db.pl
pwd.pl
shellwords.pl
sigtrap.pm
sort.pm
stat.pl
strict.pm
subs.pm
syslog.pl
tainted.pl
termcap.pl
timelocal.pl
utf8.pm
utf8_heavy.pl
validate.pl
vars.pm
vmsish.pm
warnings.pm
Quota.pm
Expect.pm
Apache2.pm
APR.pm
DBI.pm
Mysql.pm
SNMP.pm
mod_perl.pm
LWP.pm
URI.pm
ycp.pm

Tad McClellan

zorro said:
I need to parse XML

Since there are 2 kinds of XML, there are 2 kinds of XML parser.

Do you need to parse "valid XML" or merely "well formed XML"?

on the server but I cannot install any modules on
the system because I only have ftp access.

You can (probably) install pure perl modules via ftp.

See:

http://search.cpan.org/search?query=XML+pure

and:

perldoc -q module

How do I keep my own module/library directory?

Contacting the administrator
and asking to install a module is not an option.

A low cost provider may prove to be not-so-low cost if you must
spend more paying your developers...

This means I can only
use one of the modules already installed.

No it doesn't.

The problem is I don't know
which of the installed modules parses xml.

[snip big list of installed modules]

None of them parse XML.

zorro

Tad said:
zorro said:
[...]

Ok thanks, I got it working, but I have a follow-up question if I may.
I created a "lib" directory and put the module inside, allowing me to
write:

use lib ("lib");
use XML::TreePP;

So now I have "cgi-bin/lib/XML/TreePP.pm".
Is it a security no-no to put the module there?

OrderGreenAcreCBD