Problem programatically setting scrollbar position in IE

alvinpoon

Hello,

I have a problem setting the scrollbar position of a div region on a
webpage which is posted at

http://www.geocities.com/virtuosity999/Logon.htm

If the page is loaded with Netscape, the vertical scrollbar on the left
side will be moved down a little bit but if the page is loaded with
Internet explorer, the scrollbar remains at the top of the scroll area.

The tag for the div region is:

static; width: 100%; height: 180px; overflow: auto; background-color:
rgb(231, 232, 234); visibility: visible;">

The javascript I'm using to move the scrollbar down is:

document.getElementById('UserList').scrollTop=25

Can anyone tell me why the javascript code above works in Netscape but
not in Internet Explorer? Is there any way to fix the code so that it
will work in Internet Explorer and Netscape?

Thank you for your help.

RobB

[...]

Try calling it onload. IE often needs to 'set up' before it allows
scripting of elements.

Unfortunately, you'll probably notice a annoying delay before
window.onload is called - the result of a fairly horrendous amount of
code duplication. Even the example you posted above might have simply
been:

style="border:none;height:180px;overflow:auto;background-color:rgb(231,
232, 234);">

....and should have been moved to a stylesheet, possibly assigned by
class to avoid duplication. Many, many more examples. Even your naming
is verbose. Slim that thing down. #;-)