Problem with OpenGL.GLUT

Discussion in 'Python' started by Steven Gutstein, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. I've just managed to get PyOpenGL installed on a Windows NT machine.
    I've tried testing it using one of the programs supplied with the
    PyOpenGL download - molehill.py. On my machine, it was placed in the
    python23\Lib\site-packages\OpenGL\Demo\GLUT\examples directory.

    When I'm in Windows Explorer and double click on the icon for this
    program, it runs fine.

    However, when I try to 'execfile' molehill from the Python command
    line, I have the following problem:

    First I get a message window from Windows stating "The procedure entry
    point __glutCreateMenuWithExit could not be located in dynamic link
    library glut32.dll". The title of this window is "python.exe - Entry
    Point Not Found"

    After I click "OK" to make this message window disappear, I get the
    following traceback:
    Traceback of
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
    File "molehill.py", line 19, in ?
    fron OpenGL.GLUT import *
    ImportError: DLL Load failed: The specified procedure could not be
    found.

    Is there any reason why this program should run when I double click it
    from within Windows file manager, but not when I type
    execfile('molehill.py') from Python(command line) ?

    Thanks,

    Steven Gutstein

    Steven Gutstein, Jan 7, 2004

  2. Steven ....

    I'm also having import problems
    with a Win98 installation of PyOpenGL for Python 2.3
    from ....

    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pyopengl
    /PyOpenGL-2.0.1.07.py2.3-numpy23.exe?download

    Any of the test programs in the Demo folder
    that attempt from OpenGL.GLUT fail
    as does a direct import attempt
    from the Python interpreter ....

    python
    Enthought Edition build 1028
    Python 2.3 (#46, Aug 11 2003, 09:34:05) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
    Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
    ImportError: DLL load failed: One of the library files needed to run this applic
    ation cannot be found.

    Using < dependency walker > to examine ....

    /site-packages/OpenGL/GLUT.pyd

    shows .... glut32.dll * Not Found *

    I've done a few searches on Google,
    but as yet haven't turned up what
    seems to be a compatible version
    of this particular missing DLL file ....

    Hopefully, someone here might know
    how to resolve this ....

    Cousin Stanley, Jan 9, 2004

  3. PyOpenGL doesn't include the actual GLUT library, just a wrapper around
    it (most systems already have GLUT installed these days). You can find
    a link for GLUT for win32 here:

    http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/documentation/installation.html

    (look for "Win32 binary package" under GLUT 3.7+).
    HTH,
    Mike

    _______________________________________
    Mike C. Fletcher
    Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
    http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/

    Mike C. Fletcher, Jan 9, 2004
  4. I use the glut DLLs from here[1] with PyOpenGL on NT and I am pretty sure
    that the GLUT examples worked OK. I haven't got access to that machine
    at the moment so I can't check. But if you haven't already tried the
    DLLs from[1] perhaps they might work for you.

    [1] http://www.xmission.com/~nate/glut.html

    Sean

    Sean Richards, Jan 9, 2004
  5. | PyOpenGL doesn't include the actual GLUT library,
    | just a wrapper around it
    | You can find a link for GLUT for win32 here:
    |
    | http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/documentation/installation.html

    Mike ....

    Thanks for the info ....

    Sticking a copy of glut32.dll from the link you provided above
    in /site-packages/OpenGL fixed the import problem
    and the PyOpenGL demos now seem to fly as expected,
    with a few exceptions that have some errors
    that are of a different nature ....

    I also have a working version of PyOpenGL under Python 2.2
    that has the glut32.dll in /site-packages/OpenGL
    and assumed that the installer that I used many months ago
    had stuck it there since I couldn't find any other GLUT related
    files in my archived downloads ....

    However, I probably somehow deleted it post-install ....

    Cousin Stanley, Jan 10, 2004
  6. Cousin Stanley, Jan 10, 2004