Problem with py2exe-frozen CGIHttpServer-based script

vincent wehren

Hi,

as a small capabilities demo I coded the piece below to show how to use
Python for cgi'ing on localhost and it more or less does the trick :).
However, I when I freeze it with py2exe, starting the resulting exe fires up
the server allright,
but fails execute cgi commands correctly (i.e. the expected output - let's
say from cgi.test()) - is no longer emitted to the browser...).

Is there some py2exe-magic I need to do that I don't know of? Something in
the code that prevents the frozen version to work?

Any pointers would be much appreciated...

Python 2.3.2 , Py2exe 0.4.2, Win XP

Here's the code...:

import CGIHTTPServer, BaseHTTPServer, SimpleHTTPServer
import threading
import sys

port=8000

# nicked from the SimpleHTTPServer test rig
def simple( HandlerClass = SimpleHTTPServer.SimpleHTTPRequestHandler
,ServerClass = BaseHTTPServer.HTTPServer):
"""
"""

base(HandlerClass, ServerClass)

# nicked from the BaseHTTPServer test rig
def base(HandlerClass = BaseHTTPServer.BaseHTTPRequestHandler,
ServerClass = BaseHTTPServer.HTTPServer, protocol="HTTP/1.0"):
"""
"""

server_address = ('localhost', port)
HandlerClass.protocol_version = protocol
try:
httpd = ServerClass(server_address, HandlerClass)
sa = httpd.socket.getsockname()
print "Serving HTTP on", sa[0], "port", sa[1], "..."
httpd.serve_forever()
except KeyboardInterrupt:
http.socket.close()

def RunServer(readyEvent=None
,HandlerClass = CGIHTTPServer.CGIHTTPRequestHandler
,ServerClass = BaseHTTPServer.HTTPServer):

simple(HandlerClass, ServerClass)
if readyEvent:
readyEvent.set()

def main():

testServerReady = threading.Event()
threading.Thread(target=RunServer, args=(testServerReady,)).start()
testServerReady.wait()

if __name__ == '__main__':
main()

Thomas Heller

vincent wehren said:
Hi,

as a small capabilities demo I coded the piece below to show how to use
Python for cgi'ing on localhost and it more or less does the trick :).
However, I when I freeze it with py2exe, starting the resulting exe fires up
the server allright,
but fails execute cgi commands correctly (i.e. the expected output - let's
say from cgi.test()) - is no longer emitted to the browser...).

Is there some py2exe-magic I need to do that I don't know of? Something in
the code that prevents the frozen version to work?

That's an easy one!
Look into CGIHTTPServer.py, near line 232:
if self.is_python(scriptfile):
=> interp = sys.executable
if interp.lower().endswith("w.exe"):
# On Windows, use python.exe, not pythonw.exe
interp = interp[:-5] + interp[-4:]
cmdline = "%s -u %s" % (interp, cmdline)

It tries to start 'sys.executable' with the python cgi script. Normally
sys.executable is the Python interpreter, but for a py2exe'd script this
is the running executable (which is no longer a usual Python
interpreter).

Changing this line to 'interp = r"c:\python23\python.exe"' makes the
frozen script work (although then the Python installation is required
again).

(A few minutes later, looking at CGIHTTPServer.py again)
It seems you have to hack this module so that the code block starting at
line 270 is used, which says:
else:
# Other O.S. -- execute script in this process
and then it works fine.

Thomas

Will Stuyvesant

Look at this piece of code in my *modified* CGIHTTPServer.py:

if self.is_python(scriptfile):
# THIS DOESN'T WORK AFTER PY2EXE!
#interp = sys.executable
#if interp.lower().endswith("w.exe"):
# # On Windows, use python.exe, not pythonw.exe
# interp = interp[:-5] + interp[-4:]
#cmdline = "%s -u %s" % (interp, cmdline)
cmdline = "%s -u %s" % ('distpython', cmdline)

The comments have the "original" standard library code. It uses
sys.executable, and that returns "yourCGIProg.exe" instead of
"Python.exe" or something like that, as you need for running the CGI
program.

My *modified* version works when used by some *.exe generated by
py2exe.

vincent wehren

| > Hi,
| >
| > as a small capabilities demo I coded the piece below to show how to use
| > Python for cgi'ing on localhost and it more or less does the trick :).
| > However, I when I freeze it with py2exe, starting the resulting exe
fires up
| > the server allright,
| > but fails execute cgi commands correctly (i.e. the expected output -
let's
| > say from cgi.test()) - is no longer emitted to the browser...).
| >
| > Is there some py2exe-magic I need to do that I don't know of? Something
in
| > the code that prevents the frozen version to work?
|
| That's an easy one!
| Look into CGIHTTPServer.py, near line 232:
| if self.is_python(scriptfile):
| => interp = sys.executable
| if interp.lower().endswith("w.exe"):
| # On Windows, use python.exe, not pythonw.exe
| interp = interp[:-5] + interp[-4:]
| cmdline = "%s -u %s" % (interp, cmdline)
|
| It tries to start 'sys.executable' with the python cgi script. Normally
| sys.executable is the Python interpreter, but for a py2exe'd script this
| is the running executable (which is no longer a usual Python
| interpreter).
|
| Changing this line to 'interp = r"c:\python23\python.exe"' makes the
| frozen script work (although then the Python installation is required
| again).
|
| (A few minutes later, looking at CGIHTTPServer.py again)
| It seems you have to hack this module so that the code block starting at
| line 270 is used, which says:
| else:
| # Other O.S. -- execute script in this process
| and then it works fine.
|
| Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I suspected something along those lines....

I'll give the hack a go!

Thanks!

Vincent