problem with RubyDotNet r3 evaluator .rbw

gabriele renzi

I just downloaded R.D.N. r3 and I've got a little problem.
If I try to run the evaluator scipt I get this error:

c:/programmi/ruby-1.8/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dotnet/bridge.rb:124:in
`inter
nalSendMessage': It is invalid to push a main message loop in this
context. This
may cause your application to not respond to Windows messages.
(DotNetException
)
from
c:/programmi/ruby-1.8/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dotnet/bridge.rb:
124:in `sendMessage'
from
c:/programmi/ruby-1.8/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dotnet/bridge.rb:
273:in `method_missing'
from evaluator.rbw:165:in `runNewOnForm'
from evaluator.rbw:248

I even get this error with this simple script:

....same error...

I thought this should work :(
BTW, I'm not much into the .net development, so possibly I'm just
doing a wrong thing.

OTOH, running tests work fine, some tests are failing cause it seem I
don't have csc.exe in my path..

anyway this is really an impressive package!
Just two things:
- would you please add the online documentation to the archive? goin
online just to get some docs that could safely fit in the .zip file is
a PITA.

- would you add some more samples?

gabriele renzi

il Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:29:29 +0900, Benjamin Schroeder
Do you get this error when running from irb?
yes

That seems to work for
me. (A script file should work as well.) I'd be interested to hear
whether it works in that context.

running from a file with ruby filename.rb fail with the same error.
It works like a charm with Form.new.show
Anyway, I didn't run this script in the evaluator, cause the evaluator
won't start at all :)

Sure! Is there any kind of sample you'd like to see?

Another useful thing would be the usage of System.Data.

I think that some sample using System.Windows.Forms would cause a good
impression on the casual downloader ;)
In the general sense, it would be cool to have some irb-controlled
script.
i.e. show a simple WinForm running and calling methods of the GUI from
irb.
On the same line some I think something really cool would be a
TestSuite written in ruby for .net classes, similar in spirit to
http://www.testing.com/writings/bypassing-the-gui.pdf

I mean, ruby as a tool.

Another cool thing would be some example of System.Data.

I think these are the stuff you're using ATM, possibly because many
other .net packages are lready available in ruby, and some are ,
maybe, not easily integrated with ruby (I suppos, for example, the web
stuff.)

thanks for the quick answer, sorry if my posts come on the list latre,
I think my provider is having some prob with the newserver