problem with selectedvalue of dropdownlist

Chris

Hi,

When choosing a value in the dropdownlist, i try to put that selectedvalue
in the label, but i always get the first value 'a'.
EnableViewState is by default set to true, so ... what's wrong in my code?
Thanks
Chris

System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
Dim ddl As New DropDownList
Dim z As ListItem
Dim kz As String
ddl.AutoPostBack = True
form1.Controls.Add(ddl)

If Page.IsPostBack Then
kz = ddl.SelectedValue
Label1.Text = kz
Else
z = New ListItem("a", "a")
ddl.Items.Add(z)
z = New ListItem("b", "b")
ddl.Items.Add(z)
z = New ListItem("c", "c")
ddl.Items.Add(z)
End If
End Sub

<form id="form1" runat="server">
<asp:Label ID="Label1" runat="server" ></asp:Label>
</form>

Rain

Put your label setting code in the pre-render event or the index select
changed event for the dropdown box.

Lloyd Sheen

Chris said:
[...]

You are recreating the dropdownlist every time you select an item. Since
you have AutoPostBack on you should be using a SelectionChanged routine to
pull the information from. Why are you creating the dropdown in code?

LS

Chris

Thanks for replying.
I don't know in advance how many dropdownlists i need. This is coming from a
database, so i have to create them by code.
Doing like this, there is no SelectionChanged procedure available ...

Rain

Yes there is

You can create an event handler to service the event. Have a look in the
help for adding event handlers. Its a fairly simple one to do. This is the
C# equiv, ( For VB lookup the Addhandler in help ).

this.DropDownList1.SelectedIndexChanged += new
System.EventHandler(myFunctionName);

public void myFunctionName( object sender, System.EventArgs e )

Chris

I resolved my problem like this:
Partial Class test
Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
Friend ddl As New DropDownList
System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load

Dim z As ListItem
Dim kz As String
If Page.IsPostBack Then
kz = ddl.SelectedValue
Label1.Text = kz
Else
z = New ListItem("a", "a")
ddl.Items.Add(z)
z = New ListItem("b", "b")
ddl.Items.Add(z)
End If
End Sub

Protected Sub Page_PreInit(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles Me.PreInit
ddl.AutoPostBack = True
form1.Controls.Add(ddl)
End Sub
End Class
Protected Sub Page_PreInit(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles Me.PreInit
ddl.AutoPostBack = True
form1.Controls.Add(ddl)
End Sub

But this generates a new problem to me: how can i program that in code?
Assume i need 5 dropdownlists: i can create dim ddl() and then redim
ddl(number needed). But how to do that with Friend, which must be outside
all sub? Or is there a better way to do this?

Chris

or maybe better, but still same problem: how to code all the Friend
variables i need ..

Partial Class test
Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
Friend ddl As New DropDownList

System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
Dim z As ListItem
If Not Page.IsPostBack Then
z = New ListItem("a", "a")
ddl.Items.Add(z)
z = New ListItem("b", "b")
ddl.Items.Add(z)
End If
End Sub

Protected Sub Page_PreInit(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles Me.PreInit
ddl.AutoPostBack = True
form1.Controls.Add(ddl)
AddHandler ddl.SelectedIndexChanged, AddressOf selectddl
End Sub
Protected Sub selectddl(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs)
Dim kz As String
kz = ddl.SelectedValue
Label1.Text = kz
End Sub
End Class

Chris said:
[...]

Where did I mention doing it in the Page_Load ?

Mark Rae said:
Remember that dynamic controls which need to have events wired up need to
be created in Page_Init or Page_PreInit - Page_Load is usually too late in
the page cycle...

Rain

This works ( tested ) , hopefully it will help you in formulating your
solution.

--------------------
Private ddls As New ArrayList

Protected Sub Page_PreInit(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles Me.PreInit

If (Not IsPostBack) Then
Dim myFirstDDl As New DropDownList
myFirstDDl.Items.Add(New ListItem("a", "a"))
myFirstDDl.Items.Add(New ListItem("b", "b"))
myFirstDDl.Items.Add(New ListItem("c", "c"))
myFirstDDl.AutoPostBack = True

'add to ddls array list
ddls.Add(myFirstDDl)

'Save between postbacks
Session("ddls") = ddls
Else
'retreive on postback
ddls = CType(Session("ddls"), ArrayList)

End If

For Each d As DropDownList In ddls

'add to page controls
form1.Controls.Add(d)
AddHandler d.SelectedIndexChanged, AddressOf
handleDDlIndexChanged
Next

End Sub

Protected Sub handleDDlIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs)
Dim ddl As DropDownList = CType(sender, DropDownList)

Label1.Text = ddl.SelectedValue

End Sub

Chris said:
I don't know ...
If you really want to help, please just tell me what's wrong
Thanks

Chris

Many thanks.