Problem with simple C extension

harold fellermann

Am I stupid or what?

I want to implement a very simple extension class in C (as I did
it many times before...) The python equivalent of my class whould
look like:

class physics_DPD :
def __init__(self,cutoff,friction,noise,dt) :
self.cutoff = cutoff
self.friction = friction
self.noise = noise
self.dt = dt

That's all fir the start. Simple, heh? My C implementation is
the following:

#include <Python.h>
#include "structmember.h"

// PhysicsDPD instance structure
typedef struct {
PyObject_HEAD
double cutoff;
double friction;
double noise;
double dt;
} hyper_PhysicsDPD;

//----------------------------------------------------------------------
// tp_init
//----------------------------------------------------------------------
static int
hyper_PhysicsDPD_init(hyper_PhysicsDPD *self, PyObject *args, PyObject
*kwds)
{
if (!PyArg_ParseTuple(args,"ffff",
&self->cutoff,
&self->friction,
&self->noise,
&self->dt
))
return -1;

printf("%f %f %f
%f\n",self->cutoff,self->friction,self->noise,self->dt);

return 1;
}

//----------------------------------------------------------------------
// method table
//----------------------------------------------------------------------
static PyMethodDef hyper_PhysicsDPD_methods[] = {
{NULL} /* Sentinel */
};

//----------------------------------------------------------------------
// instance members
//----------------------------------------------------------------------
static PyMemberDef hyper_PhysicsDPD_members[] = {
{"cutoff", T_DOUBLE, offsetof(hyper_PhysicsDPD,cutoff), 0, "cutoff
radius"},
{"friction", T_DOUBLE, offsetof(hyper_PhysicsDPD,friction), 0,
"friction"},
{"noise", T_DOUBLE, offsetof(hyper_PhysicsDPD,noise), 0, "noise"},
{"dt", T_DOUBLE, offsetof(hyper_PhysicsDPD,dt), 0, "time step"},
{NULL} /* Sentinel */
};

//----------------------------------------------------------------------
// type structure
//----------------------------------------------------------------------
static PyTypeObject hyper_PhysicsDPDType = {
PyObject_HEAD_INIT(NULL)
0, /* ob_size */
"simulation.hyper.physics_DPD", /* tp_name */
sizeof(hyper_PhysicsDPD), /* tp_basicsize */
0, /* tp_itemsize */
0, /* tp_dealloc */
0, /* tp_print */
0, /* tp_getattr */
0, /* tp_setattr */
0, /* tp_compare */
0, /* tp_repr */
0, /* tp_as_number */
0, /* tp_as_sequence */
0, /* tp_as_mapping */
0, /* tp_hash */
0, /* tp_call */
0, /* tp_str */
0, /* tp_getattro */
0, /* tp_setattro */
0, /* tp_as_buffer */
Py_TPFLAGS_DEFAULT
| Py_TPFLAGS_BASETYPE , /* tp_flags */
"DPD physics", /* tp_doc */
0, /* tp_traverse */
0, /* tp_clear */
0, /* tp_richcompare */
0, /* tp_weaklistoffset */
0, /* tp_iter */
0, /* tp_iternext */
hyper_PhysicsDPD_methods, /* tp_methods */
hyper_PhysicsDPD_members, /* tp_members */
0, /* tp_getset */
0, /* tp_base */
0, /* tp_dict */
0, /* tp_descr_get */
0, /* tp_descr_set */
0, /* tp_dictoffset */
(initproc)hyper_PhysicsDPD_init, /* tp_init */
0, /* tp_alloc */
0, /* tp_new */
0, /* freefunc tp_free */
0, /* inquiry tp_is_gc */
0, /* PyObject *tp_bases */
0, /* PyObject *tp_mro */
0, /* PyObject *tp_cache */
0, /* PyObject *tp_subclasses */
0, /* PyObject *tp_weaklist */
0, /* destructor tp_del */
};

//----------------------------------------------------------------------
// module hyper
//----------------------------------------------------------------------

static PyMethodDef hyper_methods[] = {
{NULL} /* Sentinel */
};

#ifndef PyMODINIT_FUNC /* declarations for DLL import/export */
#define PyMODINIT_FUNC void
#endif
PyMODINIT_FUNC inithyper(void)
{
PyObject* m;
m = Py_InitModule3("hyper", hyper_methods,
"Faster C implementation of the underlying physics.");

hyper_PhysicsDPDType.tp_new = PyType_GenericNew;
if (PyType_Ready(&hyper_PhysicsDPDType) < 0) return;

Py_INCREF(&hyper_PhysicsDPDType);
PyModule_AddObject(m, "physics_DPD", (PyObject
*)&hyper_PhysicsDPDType);
}

Now, compilation and import works without problem. But I cannot
assign members in the init-call.
5.3049894774131808e-315

I must be blind today. Can anyone see what I am doing wrong
in init???

Thanks a lot!

- harold -