Problems with Norwegian letters when integrating RSS feeds in webpage using ASP

Martin Honnen

We need to integrate an RSS feed in a webpage using ASP.

I've been testing out the great script at ByteScout:

http://bytescout.com/how_to_display_rss_using_asp.html

It worked very well, but I couldn't make it work with feeds using
Norwegian characters (æ, ø, å), e.g. Aftenposten:

www.aftenposten.no/eksport/rss-1_0/

The script is not so great, if you want to parse XML and that is served
as text/xml or application/xml then MSXML and XMLHTTP do all the work
for you by populating responseXML so doing e.g.

URLtoRSS = "www.aftenposten.no/eksport/rss-1_0/
Set xmlHttp = CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP.3.0")
xmlHttp.Open "Get", URLToRSS, false
xmlHttp.Send

Set xmlDOM = xmlHttp.responseXML

suffices (although I would strongly suggest to check xmlHttp.status
first, the access responseXML and check responseXML.parseError.errorCode
before trying to parse out stuff from the XML document).

Using responseText as that script does will fail if the XML is not UTF-8
encoded.

Note that I have not checked whether the rest of that script makes any
sense for parsing the example feed.