Procedure Invalid Identifier in SQL / PLSQL

Reaction score
Hello All, I'm trying to make a very basic procedure on PLSQL but when I try to use it in SQL it returns an invalid identifier.

SQL:
create or replace PROCEDURE YEARS_BETWEEN(date1 IN date, date2 IN date, p_result out number)
IS
    v_months number;
BEGIN
    v_months := months_between(date1, date2);

p_result := TRUNC(v_months / 12, 0);
END years_between;

what's wrong in this code? Also, According to this post, PL/SQL handles errors and exceptions effectively with the help of the inbuilt exception handlers. Can anyone tell me the error handling feature is present in SQL as well?

Reaction score
The error in your code is that you need to use a semi-colon (;) to end the CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE statement:

SQL:
CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE YEARS_BETWEEN(date1 IN date, date2 IN date, p_result out number) IS
    v_months number;
BEGIN
    v_months := months_between(date1, date2);
    p_result := TRUNC(v_months / 12, 0);
END YEARS_BETWEEN;

As for error handling in SQL, it doesn't have a built-in error handling mechanism like PL/SQL. In SQL, you can catch errors using error code checking (e.g. using the SQLERRM function), but it is not as robust as the error handling in PL/SQL.

Ask a Question