prototype.js with the AJAX functionality only

Randy Webb

Peter Michaux said the following on 2/9/2007 3:27 PM:
It's the 'F' in FAQ.
OK.

Currently Prototype is a frequently asked question.

A search of the archives comes up with 22 hits since November 30 and not
all 22 of those deal specifically with Prototype (one is the thread I
started about createTextNode and IE7 and it comes up in the search
because it got mentioned that Prototype.js uses eval on incoming script
blocks).

So, how often does something have to get asked to become "frequent"?
That is a ratio of about 1 every 3 days or so which is fairly frequent.
Dates are asked about almost as frequently yet the word Date appears
only once in the FAQ and that is in regards to Last Modified (which
never gets asked).
If it stops being frequent in the future then the entry can
be removed from the FAQ.

If I can ever manage to finish 10.0 then removal is simple as it doesn't
use a numbered system for the anchors. As it is now, removing an entry
is not as simple as it sounds.
The FAQ hasn't always retained past entry.

For at least 10 years it has. The numbered anchor system in use doesn't
lend itself to removing entries very easily. It is the sole reason I
went about trying to make 10.0 non-numbered.

If there is an entry wanted on Prototype.js then someone write a Draft
Proposal - complete - and post it. I don't agree with it but if it is
wanted then it can be added.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message said:
Dr J R Stockton said the following on 2/8/2007 5:37 PM:

And that still falls into the specific trap of listing certain
libraries. If you do one, you would need to do all that ever get asked
about and that's if you can find a support forum for it.

No I don't; and you don't either. Evidently you do not understand how
to write a newsgroup FAQ; it's not there just to show how clever the
author has been.

We've seen that prototype.js is frequently asked about; as FAQ custodian
you should accept that. Just write a draft section, slightly expanded
from the above to the best of your IMMEDIATE knowledge, putting <what?>
or <where?> or <how?> where gaps need to be filled; and then post it
here for comment. If anyone else gives the answer, you don't need to
search for it yourself; if no-one knows, then it's hardly worth
searching yourself.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message said:
So, how often does something have to get asked to become "frequent"?
That is a ratio of about 1 every 3 days or so which is fairly frequent.
Dates are asked about almost as frequently yet the word Date appears
only once in the FAQ and that is in regards to Last Modified (which
never gets asked).

In comp.lang.javascript FAQ - 9.5 - 2007-01-23, both "date" and "dates"
occur in Section 3, together with "time" and "times"; that entry was
crafted, under a previous regime, to be search-friendly.

Remember that the real purpose of a FAQ is not to answer frequently-
asked questions; it is to answer questions which otherwise would have
been frequently asked.

<FAQENTRY>
"Microsoft's Windows Scripting Host (WSH) Newsgroup:-
microsoft.public.scripting.wsh"
->
"Microsoft's Windows Scripting Host (WSH) and JScript Newsgroups:-
microsoft.public.scripting.wsh and microsoft.public.scripting.jscript"

I know that the JScript newsgroup is cited elsewhere in the FAQ.

It's a good idea to read the newsgroup and its FAQ. See below.

Randy Webb

Dr J R Stockton said the following on 2/9/2007 6:59 PM:
No I don't; and you don't either.

Thank you for telling me what I already knew as I wasn't going to do it
to start with.
Evidently you do not understand how to write a newsgroup FAQ;

No, what is evident is that you do not understand what I do or do not
understand. You have also gotten confused by whether I was writing as
the FAQ Maintainer or as a c.l.j poster.
it's not there just to show how clever the author has been.

Nobody said any different, other than you.
We've seen that prototype.js is frequently asked about; as FAQ custodian
you should accept that.

I did (as FAQ Editor), I just don't agree with it as a poster/regular here.
Just write a draft section, slightly expanded from the above to the
best of your IMMEDIATE knowledge, putting <what?> or <where?> or <how?>
where gaps need to be filled; and then post it here for comment.

There is already a draft section, written by you, that nobody has
commented on.
If anyone else gives the answer, you don't need to search for it
yourself; if no-one knows, then it's hardly worth searching yourself.

I wasn't going to search to start with. If someone wants to write a
revised draft entry based on yours then it can be discussed more and
come up with a final entry.