Publishing JavaDocs to Wiki

BrianKE

Our project manager would like to have the JavaDocs from our project
available via our internal wiki. I am looking for a way to do this
automatically such that changes to JavaDocs are automatically picked
up by the wiki either through a daily cron job copying any new/
modified JavaDocs to the wiki or something that pushes the new
JavaDocs to our wiki when they are checked in to the repository. We
are using SVN as our repository and Maven to build our project.

Has anyone ever done this and if so how did you accomplish it? What
if any pitfalls did you encounter?

TIA,
Brian Enderle

Abhijat Vatsyayan

BrianKE said:
Our project manager would like to have the JavaDocs from our project
available via our internal wiki. I am looking for a way to do this
automatically such that changes to JavaDocs are automatically picked
up by the wiki either through a daily cron job copying any new/
modified JavaDocs to the wiki or something that pushes the new
JavaDocs to our wiki when they are checked in to the repository. We
are using SVN as our repository and Maven to build our project.

Has anyone ever done this and if so how did you accomplish it? What
if any pitfalls did you encounter?

TIA,
Brian Enderle
Years ago I used custom doclets to generate documentation from Javadocs
and a few other sources (it aggregated several different sources). The
doclet generated Latex code which was used to generate PDFs. Now its not
clear what wiki are you running (MediaWiki? JSPWiki? ). Neither is it
clear what do you mean by "making javadoc available via wiki". You can
always host Javadocs through a web server and point to it from wiki. In
Mediawiki you can use interwiki links to create shortcuts to pages
containing javadocs for a class or a package. The other, and painful,
approach would be to write a custom doclet (or whatever java recommends
these days) to translate Javadocs to Mediawiki markup (or JSPWiki or
whatever you are using) and then update the wiki page. Mediawiki lets
you update a page through a script. I don't know about other wikis. Why
are you checking javadocs in your source code repository?

I would suggest using a webserver to host Javadocs and just pointing to
it from you wiki, and writing a script to update the source and
regenerate the javadocs if needed. I would advise against writing a
doclet for translating from javadocs to Wiki markup.

Abhijat

softwarepearls_com

Our project manager would like to have the JavaDocs from our project
available via our internal wiki.  I am looking for a way to do this
automatically such that changes to JavaDocs are automatically picked
up by the wiki either through a daily cron job copying any new/
modified JavaDocs to the wiki or something that pushes the new
JavaDocs to our wiki when they are checked in to the repository.  We
are using SVN as our repository and Maven to build our project.

Has anyone ever done this and if so how did you accomplish it?  What
if any pitfalls did you encounter?

TIA,
Brian Enderle

I've seen the following simple approach used before: let the javadocs
be generated in the same place with every build, and have the wiki
point to this fixed URL.